Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbrap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 08:20 PM
    My dog won't eat... Please help
    My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...
    Cynic Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Well you are going to have to force your dog to eat his meds. If they are pills what you want to do is ball it up with a little wet food, then open your dogs mouth, place the ball has far back his mouth you can almost to the throat then close his mouth and hold it closed. Rub the underside of his throat to help him swallow. This works 90% of the time. If you dog is still not having it.. Take him back to the vet... By the way ice cream is not good for him unless it is that kind you can get from petco or petsmart made for dog...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
    If the meds are liquid, or soluble in liquid after grinding, you could always use a children's medicine plastic syringe. They are usually in the pharmacy section or baby care. Enables you to get measured amts of liquids into mouths.

Unfortunately, I'll bet the meds don't fully dissolve.

Our cat had to stay at the vets for a few days w an IV when its heart condition caused lethargy and an unwillingness to eat.

Mar 29, 2006, 09:31 PM
    The meds are pill form... I guess I can call to see if I can crush them and add water... something has to work!!
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Mar 29, 2006, 09:44 PM
    When I have to medicate any animal*cat or dog* with a pill I just kind of shove it down their throat and hold their mouth closed until they swallow it. To stimulate swallowing I rub the throat. I don't wrap it up in food because I always feel like they will choke on the food.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Hi, barb,
    The medication is pills?
    OK, so you want to know how to get them down Rex's throat? Don't crush them.
    With your left hand, open Rex's mouth, hold it open.
    Then, with your right hand, take the pill between your thumb and finger.
    Put your thumb and finger with the pill into his mouth.
    While still holding his mouth open with your left hand, push the pill as far down on his tongue as you can, then close his mouth.
    He will swallow it.
    If you are afraid you are going to hurt him, please don't be afraid. You won't hurt him. It's something you have to do, if you want him to get better.
    Make yourself do it; it works. I've done it many, many times. If he spits it out the first time, do it again; until he swallows it.
    Best of luck.

Apr 1, 2006, 08:59 AM
    UPDATE:
    I took rex back to the vet... he has a severe infection. Rexxi's kidneys are also inflamed so he is resting comfortably at the vet... He has been there for 3 days now and slowly but surely getting better. I want to thank everyone for their comments they were appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 102 Answers ]

I have a German Sheperd that just won't eat!! We have tried dry food and meat but he just won't take it! If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill Try anything. Thanks heaps, dog_lover

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

Dog won't eat help [ 1 Answers ]

My black lab who is about a year old just will not eat. He has never had any problems with not eating before. He just stopped eating about 4 days ago. I took him to the vet and he came back completely healthy and the vet force fed him a couple cans of dog food, but he still will not eat. He may...

View more questions Search