Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Beckett Oil Burner AFG
    The Beckett AFG caused some trouble this year when my grandchildren accidentally turned off the EMERGENCY OIL Burner switch at the top of the stair case.. For some reason it caused water to spray out flooding the floor. I'd like to know how this could be prevented? I was told by the repair man the unit could not be turned off without this happening. AND my 2nd question is if the water temperature is not hot enough will it cost more to heat the house?
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
    hvac1000 did as suggested and check the reading to find setting at 170/190 Even with this the water temp at the kitchen sink is not hot enough.. The repair man said the water leak or spray was caused because these units can not be turned off. The water came from a gasket because steam does not vent out when shut off. Again this was according to this repair man. The house built 2003 is about 1600 sq ft and is very hard to keep warm in winter months. Have owned it 2 years. And yes we are all trying to conserve energy with the price of fuel so high.. . Thought about putting in an electric hot water tank but if I can not turn this AFG off, I can not do it?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Do you have a steam boiler? If you do you did not mention it. There is a difference between a hot water boiler and a steam boiler.

May 25, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Keep your posts on one thread.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Yes I am sorry about the confusion.. first time using this helpful site. . The question as to whether this is hot water boiler or stream? I can't answer directly except to say combustion air. Otherwise I would have to ask how I can tell? Does New Yorker low pressure water help?

May 26, 2008, 09:05 AM
    It is a difficult to answer your question with out more info. No matter weather it is a hot water boiler or a steam boiler you should be able to turn it off without it leaking. I would get another opinion from a professional in your area. Something does not sound right with your set up. Sorry but I cannot see your situation from here when I retired I lost my X-RAY vision. LOL
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Thank you for the advice you have offered. I felt the professional repair man that was here has obviously not been truthful. I was told by many that water should not be a problem and It should be capable of turning it off. I had this man put in a new 2nd zone last year for $1600.00 to help the heating, but this has cost more in heating per gallon used instead of lowering it. The fuel required doubled. I will look into finding another professional.

May 26, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Smart move on your part.
    ASKME274 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Hello;

Found this site by chance, and hopefully I can be of some use...

Whether your heating system is steam or hot water, you should not be experiencing ANY water loss from shutting the boiler down...

As to the reply about STEAM not venting out when shut off, this is not true if your system was installed PROPERLY...

All steam systems should be installed with what is called a "vacuum breaker" inline in the system... this prevents a system pressure lockup... it acts like a vent on anopen water pipe...

I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else about issues... I am a 25yr member of a HVAC union, and I pretty much can help anyone out...

Ed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beckett model AFG burner flame-out [ 14 Answers ]

This season is the first time ever that this has happened. The furnace starts, gets a flame, runs for a while, then it flames-out. It sounds like the oil pump is still running (I hear like a spraying sound). Nothing shuts off. Then the flame will come on again, but may continue flaming-out...

Beckett Model AFG Oil Burner Very Loud + some More! [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Reader from Ask Me: I have a Oil Heating system almost 10 year old with a Beckett Oil Burner. It has been very loud from the day One. RWB -Beckett Model AFG . I am wondering if a new Burner would be any quiter? Another problem I have is it starts works for a while stops and all of...

How to prime a beckett burner on oil furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a used furnace, approximately 3 years old. I am trying to prime the burner but the pump is not running long enough. The literature I have says to bypass the timer. How do I do this?

Beckett AFG Burner with R7184A Primary Contrl [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Beckett AFG burner with a Beckett R7184A Interrupted Ignition Oil Primary Control. The fuel line filter was clogged so I replaced it with a new one. When I turned power back on the burner tried to ignite but after 10 seconds or so it shut down. Now the burner will not start and the...

Beckett oil burner for forced air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the oil burner make a high pitched noise when firing?

View more questions Search