Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2006, 11:01 PM
    What style?
    So I just started kung fu school and the master teaches basically whatever you want to learn, he asked me what I want to specialize in after I clenched the fundamentals, I have no idea,but I do want something that has good practical usage (versus regular fighters such as people around school), perhaps good against TKD (I'd like to spar with a friend of mine who's a blackbelt in TKD), and utilizes all of the body (not necessary really,but if there were a choice I'd like something that would jhelp me for cross-style performance)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2006, 06:02 AM
    HI,
    My grandson is a Red belt, at 8 yrs old, has a little way to go yet for his First Degree Black Belt.
    My suggestion is to continue with the TKD, learning all you can. Later, branch out if you wish. Learning how to handle and being good at just one to start, is much better than trying to learn different diciplines at once; or trying to learn more "extravagant" disciplines at first.
    Your Master should be able to give you some guidance in what to choose.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 07:31 AM
    I would say just starting school is not the time to decide what form you are going to specialize in. It will be months and months to get the basics.
    During that time it will allow you time to investigate what is offered and how they interact.

Mar 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
    It's kind of funny that you say that because on my first day he asked me what style I wanted to learn forms from. And I don't take TKD,I want to take on someone who does take TKD. Anyway,I do think it's a bit soon myself though,I just told him to put me through whatever forms he wanted and I'd do my best to learn them but if there were any styles you knew of then that'd be appreciated.
    Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Of course after some thought I guess your teacher may after just a little training start you on some early level learning of a specific style.

I don't do kung fu, and it is not taught at the school that we work with.
    It may be possible that style teaches differently

Mar 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Personally I think he starts us off on whatever we want to learn early so that we can build an early foundation (and keep us interested in the classes lol),but he's been teaching for 20 years and is Shir Fu rank,so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
    Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Will you be studying just the physical moves or will you also be doing study in the Kung Fu healing and other written teachigns also.

Mar 26, 2006, 01:18 PM
    We study everything,philosophy,standing meditation,sitting meditation,history,forms, even the cool stuff like marrow washing and iron bone.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2006, 03:17 AM
    Ask to learn crane stretches wings, crane reaches toward sky, tiger shakes its mane, and also learn at least some techniques from each type of style your school teaches (tiger,crane,monkey,leopard,praying mantis,snake,etc).

The eighteen classical movement are best to learn, and good to grasp more than just the basics (yet are the basics in many views of kung fu). Many times by doing you learn more than by given advice, so go and do. Learn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which style washer agitator is best [ 4 Answers ]

We are in the market for a new top load washer. There seem to be a couple different style agitators available. Some have something that looks like a "Screw" and they have kind of turn and stop, turn and stop action. Suppose to pull the cloths to the bottom of the drum or something like that. Others...

French Style Hot Cocoa... oh so yummy! [ 3 Answers ]

I found this EXCELLENT hot cocoa recipe and just had to share it with you all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :) 1-4oz bar of Ghirardelli bittersweet baking chocolate 4 cups of whole milk 3/4 to 1 cup of either half & half or whipping cream 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon...

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

Which style first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 30 yr old male. Want to learn martial arts. I am lean, 5'9", not muscular, but I show good stamina in aerobic exercises or sports like badminton. Based on this information, can anybody advise me which martial art should I learn first? While going through some material on different...

View more questions Search