Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodbine3655 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 10:33 PM
    Statue of limitations on failure to appear
    Hey my fiancée has a small string of failure to appears in another county than we live in. I need to know what is the statue of limitations on failure to appear is. I know there is a limitaion on every crime. I also would like to know what is the maximuim penelty carried for 5 failure to appears we I believe carries over into a Fleeing charge.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

May 18, 2008, 12:00 AM
    The easiest way which I can explain this is, "There is no statute of limitations on an existing FTA" (Failure To Appear). In your fiancés case, The statute of limitations doesn't apply to her situation. She was charged and assigned a court date within a reasonable time, and the fact that she failed to appear doesn't mean that the charges go away.
    In fact, she has deepened her legal problems. I do not believe there is anyway to determine the maximum penalty for 5 FTA's. The situation which she has created needs to be taken more seriously. Contact the issuing court and have the matters resolved rather than waiting for that knock at the door.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Actually yes for a crime, and the statue of limitation is from the date he did the crime, till the time they issue a warrant for him,

So if he did not appear, how many years did they wait from the time he did not appear to issue the warrant, once the warrant is issued, it is valid forever. Also since they normally issue the warrant the same day he does not appear, normally the SOL has no bearing on failure to appear.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Hello wood:

Statutes of limitations are designed to get the cops moving... But, once they've MOVED, and a warrant has been issued for the offender, they've done their jobs. So, once they find the culprit (your g/f) and they issue a warrant for her arrest, they just sit back and wait. Time is on their side, now cause the warrant never expires.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
    For whatever lame reason she did not appear in court - like Excon says they're just waiting until she comes to them, i.e. traffic stop, accident, renew her driver's license, etc. etc. Her outstanding warrant could have been avoided but now that's too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a statue of limitations for larceney in the state of Colorado ?

Statue of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

If u are on probation for the state of Missouri , you have a federal inditement for caspericy to distribute marijuanna and you leave the united states, how many years will u be wanted for these crimes by the state or the federal government. How long will u have to stay out of the united states...

Statue of limitations. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a mortgage dept in Canada?

What is the Statue of Limitations? [ 3 Answers ]

Good-day, I would like to know what the Statue of Limitations is, on filing a law suit against a former same-sex partner? She had left without notice 2 years ago, taking with her most of the Business (which was in my name) equipment, as well as household personal furnishings of mine, and had...

View more questions Search