Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mluebbert2003 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Basement Bathroom
    Ive just purchased a home and would like to add a full bath in the basement. The main plumbing drain appears to run into and below the concrete floor. The question is can the stub ins be tied into the existing drain? Can I cut up the floor and run the rough stub ins and hire a plumber to tie them in? Please help, I am quite handy but have never attempted anything other than basic plumbing.

Thanks,

Mike.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Good morning Mike,

"Can I cut up the floor and run the rough stub ins and hire a plumber to tie them in?" Yes, you may but you'll need help in laying out the drainaige unless you have knowledge of basic plumbing codes. You will have to take into consideration vents and wet vents. I can lay the rough-in out for you if you wish but in order to do this I'll need a copy of your plans showing the fixture placements and the measurements, walls, vents, etc.
    " The question is can the stub ins be tied into the existing drain?"
    The different branches MUST be tied into the existing drain and every fixture that's trapped, with the exception of a floor drain , must be vented.
    Good luck on a difficult project. Tom

Mar 25, 2006, 07:26 AM
    I will get the plans to you, I would appreciate a roughin layout.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mar 25, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Please take a look and let me know if you need more info
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Thanks Mike,

If what you're showing me at the bottom right hand page is a floor drain I'm going to need more then that. What I have to know before I can began is the location of the main sewer drain line. You can get a pretty good idea of how it's laid out by noting where the stack enters the basement floor and where the location of the outside cleanout is. After you locate the outside cleanout and mark the basement floor, the main will run in a straight line from the stack to the clean out. Send down another drawing showing me the stack and the main. Thanks, Tom

Mar 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
    In the bottom right hand corner is the main sewer drain the cleanout is actually in the basment floor as well about 18 feet due West.

Mar 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Here you go!
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mluebbert2003
    In the bottom right hand corner is the main sewer drain the cleanout is actually in the basment floor as well about 18 feet due West.
    I'm sorry! Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What I want you to do is draw in the clean out, any floor drain that may be there and the stack that comes down and goes in under the cement. What I plan on doing is to attempt to lay out the house main. This should be a straight line from the stack to the clean out. At the very least it will give me a idea of where the floor should be opened up and when I can tie in your bathroom group. Venting thegroup will be another issue that we will address after we get the drainage in. And 18 foot due West of what? Cheers, Tom

Mar 25, 2006, 01:13 PM
    I attached another picture and drew in what you had asked.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
    I attached another picture and drew in what you had asked.
    It didn't come through. What I want you to do is draw in the clean out, any floor drain that may be there and the stack that comes down and goes in under the cement in addition to what I already have. I'll wait on your reply. Tom

Mar 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Is this what you need?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2006, 09:17 AM
    That's fine Mike,
    I drew up a rough-in last night but I'm having a problem sizing it to fit the attachments. I'm getting help on this and should have it to you today. Regards, Tom

Mar 26, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Thanks Tom.

If it would be easier I could place all of the appliances on the same wall. Toilet, sink, shower fixtures.

Thanks again.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Thanks Tom.

If it would be easier I could place all of the appliances on the same wall. Toilet, sink, shower fixtures.

Thanks again.
    No but reposition the fixtures and I'll draw you up another option. (I like lots of options) Cheers, tom

Mar 26, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Tom,

There is also pumbing directly above in the ceiling from the fixtures in the kitchen upstairs, if this helps.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Mike, Can you move the SmartDraw ad? It's right where I want to draw. Also here's the drawing. I reduced the size.

Mar 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Tom,

I wish I could it's a demo so no. So basically I need to cut out the concrete above the main pipe where the toilet will tie in and also cut the floor to tie the tub into the toilet?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Tom,

I wish I could its a demo so no. So basically I need to cut out the concrete above the main pipe where the toilet will tie in and also cut the floor to tie the tub into the toilet?
    You should check this out with the plumber before you do anything. Will a permit be pulled and will it be inspected? Regards, Tom

Mar 26, 2006, 10:18 AM
    I am assuming yes. Any chance you could mock up a materials list? Just rough?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Tom,

I wish I could its a demo so no. So basically I need to cut out the concrete above the main pipe where the toilet will tie in and also cut the floor to tie the tub into the toilet?

Let's see if this comes through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Is a 1.5inch diameter pipe thick enough to use as a shower drain? I have a basement with drain pipes already set up the 2inch pipe is too close to the toilet so is this pipe enough or do I have to bust up the concrete. I already checked it with a garden hose I turned it up all the way and it...

Bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom rough in in a basement with three pipes up from the floor one is obviously the toile but how do we know which is vent and which is drain? Or are both drains and the rough in is already tied to the vent?:

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

Another Basement bathroom job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for looking at this question and helping me out. Attached is a MS Word doc that should explain everything. I have read a lot of posts in here and I think I have all the info needed for someone to easily answer my questions. I do have a lot better pictures and drawings, but...

New Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into...

View more questions Search