Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarcSmith Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Modem Types
    Hi,
    Could anyone advise me on what I have to do if I currently have a broadband connection (all connected up and installed) in my home but my PC only seems to have a 56k modem installed.
    Ie: Is there still a way I can connect to the internet on my PC via my broadband cable?
    The connector on the back of my PC tower, where I would plug in the telephone cable, is too small for the larger broadband cable to connect to.
    Maybe I need to buy a broadband modem, or can I just attach some sort of adapter? I would prefer to not have to buy a whole new modem. Don't mind buying a cheap adapter!
    Thanks & regards,
    Marc.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 09:10 AM
    You need a Network Interface Card (NIC for short, sometimes people just call them 'network cards') installed in your computer

It looks like this:

Mar 23, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Thanks,
    So, if I buy this card I shouldn't need anything else.
    Does it require much installation? Specifically opening up the tower and tinkering with the hardware?
    Thanks again.
    Marc.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 09:56 AM
    You will have to open the case to install the card. Here are a couple of sites with intructions:
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...l-pci-card.htm
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/services/ne..._network_card/

Mar 23, 2006, 10:00 AM
    That's great. Thanks very much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2006, 12:34 PM
    What makes you think you have a broadband connection? Generally, you suscribe to a service that provides such a connection. That service will provide you with a broadband modem that connects either to your cable TV cable or to a wall phone jack (depending on the type of broadband). From the modem you then connect into your PC or a router if you are sharing the connection.

If you don't have a broadband modem then why do you think you have broadband service?

It does sound like you might be living in a place that provides broadband for its tenants, hence the ethernet cable you seem to have. If that's the case, then you should be able to get a network card like Need showed and plug the Ethernet cable into it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 08:35 AM
    HI,
    I do agree with the answer before mine.
    Further, I would ask around where you live, find out the name of the company supplying you with this broadband service. Call their Customer Service Representative, and find out exactly what you have, and they will let you know exactly what you need to hook up to it. Best of luck.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Marc.Although you seem to have a cable box,that supplies your TV needs,you need to ask your cable company (they that supplied your cable box),if they also supply a broadband-internet service.They must do.Mine is Telewest.I have the cable box,modem,router,and my PC has my own Network Interface card.The Telewest engineer simply connected my PC,to the "external modem" box,which is connected to my cable box.Thus I can watch TV,and surf the internet,and make land-line phone calls,all at the same time,if I wanted to.With only an internal 56K "pci" modem,which is connected to your PC motherboard,you can only get dial-up internet,via the phone line.Even with an Network Interface card installed.As it stands,you cannot connect your PC to the cable box,and expect broadband internet.Even if you could find "a work around",you have to have a broadband account,the engineer has to come to your house,with all the "right gear" and switch the service on,then he/she will leave you a disc to install the necessary software on your PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Types of gun [ 16 Answers ]

How many types of guns are there?

Blood types? [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend really wants to have a baby. Well, not at the moment, but she wants to be ABLE to have a baby. She read somewhere that people with Type O blood can NOT reproduce unless their partner has a negative blood type. Now, I'm having a hard time understanding this because apperently O blood...

Data types [ 4 Answers ]

A friend in the Wondir forum wants to know what data types mean, is there a simple explanation? Or should I refer him to the Princeton knowledge base? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search