Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TonyXL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Getting a new heat pump: get new air handler too?
    My heat pump (outside condenser unit) is dying and needs replacement. Indoor air handler running fine. Both units are 10 year old Carriers. 2 questions:

1. Do I need to replace the indoor air handler unit at the same time? I know doing so would be best for efficiency, but ignoring that, is it OK to get just a new outdoor condenser unit?

2. Any thoughts on American Standard performance/reliability? Was quoted $3200 for the 13 SEER 2 ton unit, including labor. Northern Virginia.

Thanks everyone!
    -Tony
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Do a search on this site. This has been discussed many times and there is really nothing to ad. It is best to replace both but the discission is up to you not us.

A two ton here with both inside and outside units replaced with a new line set and using the new R-410 is $ 3,900.00 including sales tax. My neighbor just has a two ton system installed and asked me about the bids he got. He got Amana which is in the same price league as Am Std.

I would get other estimates. Sounds a bit high to me.
    TonyXL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
    I took a look at the other threads. When you say "inside coil", is that something that can be changed out of my current air handler for a much lower price? Or would I just get a new air handler?

Thanks,
    Tony
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Just get a new air handler. You might be able to install a newer coil in the old air handler BUT the new coils are larger and more efficient and will probably take a modification to the metal of the cabinet. It will probably just be easier to change the entire air handler. You will also have a choice of the old standby R-22 or the new R-410 refrigerant. R-22 will be around for sometime but there are benefits to R-410 also. You might read up on some articles as posted on Google and here for more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane Air Handler/Heat Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Trane airhandler system in my house with an oil burner furnace that feeds hot water to the heat exchanger inline with the air handler and the ducting. We suspect our system has ver poor efficiency overall, as it appears to run the hot water often through the heat exchanger, and...

Air Handler not blowing heat at all [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Trane Air Handler and all of a sudden it stopped blowing heat through out the house. I have two thermostat one down stairs the other upstairs. I changed the filter; I checked the fuse and the breaker every thing is working. When I switched the thermostat to heat I can hear the...

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

New Heat Pump/Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 3 level, small single family house. We are replacing our heat pump and air handler - We want to know if a 2.5 ton unit (either in or out) can be paired with a 2 ton unit. Do they both have to be the same amount of tons?

How to wire a heat pump & varialble air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Please help how to wire a Goodman 13seer 1.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton variable speed air handler to a EWC BMplus 3000 Zoning control system. Thanks, Alo:confused:

View more questions Search