Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Apr 26, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Ultrasound at 39 weeks to check baby's size? How accurate?
    Ok so yesterday at my 38 week appointment the doc said that I'm 2 cm dilated but the baby is still at -2 station, so pretty much doesn't want to come out yet, but she was a little concerned about his size because when she palpates my abdomen she says he feels quite large. So she said she wants me in for an ultrasound to check on his size. But I have heard from a lot of my friends who have had babies that this is really inaccurate like can be off by one or two pounds either way, so if its so inaccurate why would be the reason for them doing it? Is this done a lot around 39 weeks?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:35 AM
    It's dome to measure the size of certain bones (one being the femur) to see how far along you actually are gestationally. Remember, that this is just a measurement tool and is not 100% accurate. My son was to weigh over 8 pounds by the ultrasound and when he came out he was only 5 pounds 11 ounces.

The only way to know beyond the shadow of a doubt is delivery.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
    I agree with J9. I had an ultrasound at 39 weeks with my son, they were concerned that I was low on amniotic fluid, at that time they said that my son was almost 10 pounds, he was 8lbs 2 1/2 ounces at birth, almost two weeks later. It's just an estimate.
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Apr 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Seems silly do even predict the weight since they are usually wrong lol
    jbak621 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Hi! I am a registered ultrasonographer. The earlier the pregnancy, the more accurate an ultrasound is for weight & date estimation. Most screening ultrasound calculation packages are set to be based off 20 weeks gestational age... That is about when most fetal screenings are done. So, the further past you are from twenty weeks, the less accurate these measurements may be. Most of the reason is because the baby's "parts" are now way bigger than our ultrasound transducers and are difficult to get in the screen. So we have to do some fancy guessing. ANOTHER reason is, especially at 30+ weeks, the baby's head can be pretty far down in mom's pelvis, making it very difficult to obtain the necessary head measurements. So a lot also depends on the baby's position, and the skill of the technologist.

Actually, I just re-checked the date of your post... You probably have the baby by now. So, did you have that ultrasound? And how close was it to the real thing?
    jessy0428 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I had one done a week and a half before I had my daughter it said almost 9 lbs and I was terrifed to have a baby that big. Well she poped out a 6 lb 3 oz tiny little girl. So it def. is just a guess or estimate . I don't know why they do them.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessy0428
    i had one done a week and a half before I had my daughter it said almost 9 lbs and I was terrifed to have a baby that big. well she poped out a 6 lb 3 oz tiny little girl. So it def. is just a guess or estimate . I dont know why they do them.

This is why I wish they wouldn't share the suspected weight unless there was a true concern. Too many mothers are made to worry unnecessarily and often the seed of doubt about their ability to give birth is planted. Big baby syndrome is one of the more common reasons for the increased used of inductions.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alansteve View Post
    Your health care provider will monitor the baby's heart rate throughout your labor using external or internal fetal monitoring systems. If in case your doctor selects the internal monitoring system then that means the doctor is looking for a more accurate reading.

In case the doctor is using the external fetal monitoring system then it is nothing but a belt which is strapped to your abdomen with a receiver attached, which detects your baby's heart rate much similar to a Doppler ultrasound.

The ultrasound system is 100% accurate, no doubt on that system. you would be get accurate information about the baby size when you have 39 weeks pregnant.
    The baby in this thread is approximately 2 years old now. Please check your dates prior to responding to threads.

THREAD CLOSED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 1/2 weeks ultrasound [ 1 Answers ]

I will be about 4 1/2 weeks pregnant next week when I have my first US. Will they even be able to see a gestational sac?

4 weeks pregnant and wondering about ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: today I went to the doctor and he told me I was 4 weeks pregnant... he did an ultrasound and said he could see the sac but its to soon to see a heartbeat or the baby... just wanted to make sure this is true... I am alil worried about this... please help:confused:

Sis and I due two weeks apart 1st baby's, family feels I'm stealing her thunder [ 6 Answers ]

I have been trying to conceive for 15months now and just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant, my sister found out she is pregnant two weeks ago and our babies are due two weeks apart. She and her husband have only been trying to conceive for 5months and I was very happy for them. Now I found out I am...

8 weeks along tomorrow and doctor wants to do an ultrasound? [ 7 Answers ]

:D I went to my OB/GYN today for my first visit and we did the whole 9 yards... PAP test, blood work etc. My question follows this... she said that she wanted to do an ultrasound when I was 8 weeks (tomorrow) to see how big the baby is and see if the size matches up with my last period. One of my...

View more questions Search