Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharenka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
    2 week old pup won't eat
    Hello, I need help asap! ;( My zy gave birth 2 weeks ago to 5 pups, she died 3 days after, and a vet looked at her 3 days prior to her passing and said she was doing fine! Evidentaly she wasnt;(( Since, 2 pups refused to eat after starting really well on bottle feeding, but then stopped suddenly, and died within 2 days each. Now, I have a 3rd, who up till day before yesterday was eating like a little piggie! He won't open his mouth for anything, not the bottle with puppy formula, or an IV drip solution of karo syrup, salt and water, or a gel made for finicky pups. He won't open for anything, and I don't want to loose another;( The remaining 2 are putting on weight very good, strong, and eyes just starting to pop open, but the wee one just lays there and produces a soft moan, He pooped this am, it was soft, and he's urinated... but he's waisting away quickly. What can I do? Please:confused: help!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I fed my little orphan with Similac in a bottle that she could suck on. I guess you have tried the bottle too. Maybe you should try similac baby formula just to see if the taste makes a difference. Good luck with this, I know how you are feeling. We fed some little pups from the same litter years ago with barely hair on them they were so new, rubbed their tummies after with q tips to similate the mother licking (to make them eliminate). Please let us know how you are doing with this difficult situation, sharenka.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Is your puppy cold? If the body temperature is too low, they can't digest properly even if they take in food. One of the fastest ways to warm up a cold puppy is to run some very warm, not hot, water in the sink and submerge the pup up to his neck, holding and stimulating him for a few minutes. Immediately take him out of the water into a thick towel and use the blow dryer on a warm setting. Then see if he will suck a little syrup or Nutrical off your finger to get his blood sugar up. Good luck...
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
    I don't agree with the hot water bath. Where did you ever hear that! I do agree with a warm heating pad, body heat, close to the skin, inside a brassiere, if pup is really small. They need to hear a heart beating and have warmth next to the skin. That is what I have done to revive sick pups. If I had to I would carry the little thing around inside my bra for warmth and comfort. But certainly not submerging in warm water.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 11, 2008, 06:38 PM
    I didn't mean to imply hot water, just warm. THe other methods are fine, but if a puppy or kitten's body temperature needs immediate attention the warm water works faster in my experience--it seems to affect the core temperature better. The baby must not be allowed to get chilled, so it is straight into a warm towel fresh from the dryer or blow-dried. The extra stimulation seems to help, since many puppies in this condition are very near death. The body temperature and then the blood sugar level needs to be addressed immediately and in that order.
    I have seen heating pad burns, since tiny puppies can't always move away from the heat. I fill a hot water bottle, put it inside a pillowcase and roll it up so the puppy can't root in and get directly against the rubber.
    (I also admit to the bra as a nifty place to keep a puppy's temperature up, didn't mention it since not sure whether original poster is female!)

May 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
    OK all.. ty very much for your ideas? But, I think I have my own conclusion to this problem on my own;( My 3rd pup is at deaths door;( Today, I attempted once more to feed it... so, I loaded up the syringe again with the Nutri-cal puppy gel, and it wouldn't take it. Its barely moving now. Its warm, on a heating pad. Then I thought hmmmm... the only 3 that got this nutri-cal gel were the ones that died! So I took an extremely closer look at the tube, noticing on the crimped end of it, was an exp date stamped. That read 2010 07 ! I thought man this expired about 7 months ago, yet I just bought it at petco not 2 weeks ago;( So, I am blaming the expired gel on the 3 losses. Now what to do? Im sooooooooo angry rt now at Petco! I could spit quarters! ;((((((( Any opinions here?:(
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
    No, I think you are wrong the expiry is the year 20l0, month 7. That makes sense that it is good for two years.

May 12, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    No, I think you are wrong the expiry is the year 20l0, month 7. That makes sense that it is good for two years.
    OK ty! I read it wrong then.:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 8 week old puppy won't eat [ 11 Answers ]

Well I went and got a little puppy over the weekend. She is only 2 pounds and is 8 weeks old. She will be really small when she gets older. I took her to the Vet. Saturday and she got all her shots and wormer. But I can't get her to eat! I have tried everything dry food the breeder gave us can food...

5 Week Old Puppy won't eat! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello- I was at a flea market last Sat. and an individual there had a box full of puppies, Apparently different breeds and different ages- he professed the age of the puppy I acquired was 5 weeks old, along with his siblings which were about twice the size of this apparent runt. The person was...

10 Week Lab won't sleep or eat [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband just recently got married and bought a yellow lab to keep me company while he is at work. We bought a cedar bed for him at costco to sleep on, however he won't sleep on it. He will only chew on it. The only thing he will fall asleep on is our leather sofa or sometimes our bed. No...

My 4 week kitty won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

I got a new kitten from someone yesterday and I don't think this cat was ready to be away from mommy. I have tried giving it kitty formula in a kitty bottle, in a dish and I have tried feeding it regular kitty food both wet and dry but this kitty refuses to eat and I am not sure what to do.:(

15 week old Maltese won't eat after vet check [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone as you can see my 15 week old Maltese won't eat anymore after 2nd shots at vets. When l first brought her home from breeder she was eating just fine on Eukanoba. Ever since than its been a struggle tried sprinkiling cheerios on it that worked once than wet her food that also worked just...

View more questions Search