Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamosity Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

May 2, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Ran Su Primitive Lyre, elmhurst, NY
    Trying to see if the Ran Su Lyre that has been in my family for about 50 years is known in art circles, and a little of its history. Label in back says if cam from a gallery in Elmhurst, NY, original price $59.50. Style# 253 MB Primitive Lyre, 17" x 42".
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 04:43 PM
    I haven't found anything about it on the Internet yet, based upon the information that you have given. That doesn't mean that the information isn't out there somewhere, it just might be really hard to find.

Is this a painting of a lyre or an actual lyre?

Thanks!

May 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
    The "Primitive Lyre" is a framed , stylized lyre of the dimensions given. Background is rice paper with cutouts of wood inlay for the lyre. There are 5 golden stringe over a bridge and up the length. I'll try to get picture loaded (if I can figure out how). It is signe RanSU .
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:40 AM
    If you need help getting images onto this site, then I know just the person who could help you, and that would be jrebel7. She explains things really well! Would you like for me to contact her? To me, what you have almost sounds like some kind of lap harp.

May 8, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I appreciate your help. I can get the photo into my computer, but might need jrebel7 's help regarding the actual process to get it where it needs to be.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I will let her know about your post...
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Hi there! Clough e-mailed me and requested I share instructions on how to post images. I am an "A to Z" person so forgive if these instructions sound too elementary. I have to have a step by step for myself.

Once you have scanned your photos, save them as a .jpg file on your computer. You should have a file perhaps “MY PICTURES" where you can save images. You will see “My Documents”, “My Music”, “My Pictures”, etc. Best to save in "My Pictures" as a .jpg file.

To Resize: Bring up "MY PICTURES" folder where your image is saved. Left click on image once (this chooses it, does not open it) then right click on it. Run your cursor over "OPEN WITH", it should show you several choices... if you see Microsoft Photo Editor, left click to open. Your image will show up in that program on your screen. At the top of that screen, you will see File, Edit, View, Image, etc. Left click on IMAGE, it should have a drop down box giving options, left click on "RESIZE" There will be a box that appears that shows the size of your image. On the right side it will show UNITS... on the drop down box you can choose inches or pixels, choose pixels. On this site, when you choose "GO ADVANCED", that is where you can add the image and to do so, the image cannot be larger than 750 pixels. (You can use most any photo program to resize).

Once you have done this, PLEASE go to “File” and choose "SAVE AS"... you can name that image the same as original but add the word at the end as “resized”. That way you retain the larger image but also have one you can post. If you want the image to be fairly large, you can go with the 750 pixels, I have used 600 but generally choose 400. That is just personal preference. Make sure the largest dimension whether height or width does not exceed 750 pixels.

If I have not left out a step in the instructions, this should allow you to resize your image to allow you to post using "Go Advanced" on the "Answer this Question" box in which I am typing.

Ok, I am operating on the assumption that you have now resized your photo, saved it in a file folder and are ready to post.

On "Answer this Question: click on "Answer this Question: click on ". Type whatever description, discussion or details you want the viewer to see in the first box then scroll down (do not submit yet), you will see “Additional Options” the first part will have boxes with check marks in them. Make sure the first three are checked. Scroll down, the next box will say "Manage Attachments". Type whatever description, discussion or details you want the viewer to see in the first box then scroll down (do not submit yet), you will see “Additional Options” the first part will have boxes with check marks in them. Make sure the first three are checked. Scroll down, the next box will say "Manage Attachments". Left click on that. A box will come up that says "Browse Button" First box will say upload file from your computer with a "Additional Options". Left click on Browse button. Box will come up:
    Choose File
    Look in: (on this one, you scroll to find the folder that holds your image, open it, then left click to select image you have resized. Click Open. It will place the information of location of said image, Left Click on upload. Wait just a few moments. When it is finished, X out that screen, you will be on "Manage Attachments" area and it will show just above where it says "Submit Answer". This should then show text you typed in first box and below that, image you selected and uploaded. I sure hope I haven't left out a step. If I have, we can get back on track another way. I will help in anyway I can.

It took me awhile and the patience of other posters helping me to learn how to post images. Best to you!

May 16, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Thanks you. I will try to get this done this weekend. Been in the garden this week - and working. Again, thanks.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 02:10 AM
    I do know about being busy. I have a gig that I am doing this weekend by myself that is taking a lot of practice. Haven't been able to be on this site as much this week because of the preparation.

May 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
    With jrebel7's excellent help, for which I am most thankful, I think I will be able up post the picture if the"Primitive Lyre" by RanSU.
    Attached Images

May 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
    I know, all this fuss about THIS!. Well, it's what I was seeking some information about. Clough, I sure appreciate all your help! Adamosity in KC says thanks!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adamosity
    With jrebel7's excellent help, for which I am most thankful, I think I will be able up post the picture if the"Primitive Lyre" by RanSU.
    This is gorgeous. I am so glad you were able to post the image of it. This is a three dimensional piece, is this correct? The lines are so beautiful. Now I really want to know more about it. I couldn't get it in my head without seeing the image what it looked like. I love it! :p
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 01:11 AM
    Just for the sake of continuity, I am reposting the image that you posted. I have also lightened it up just a bit.

This is interesting, because someone else has also posted a question about a work of art from the House of Ran Su on the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/lo...su-217677.html

Here is a link that I posted on that thread where I had found a little information.

Tiki Central Forums - Topic: House of Ran Su

I am hopeful and think that we might be able to come up with some additional information yet concerning works that were produced by the House of Ran Su!
    Attached Images

Waynoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
    I have four house of Ran Su Art work pictures that depicts the four seasons. Aprox 25/12 with walnut frame all pictures have a bird in the foreground and a tree in the background.I know these pictures are at least 50 years old and in fair condition. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation laws for hunting with primitive weapon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person on probation in Mississippi hunt with a primitive weapon(bow or muzzleloader)?

View more questions Search