Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brkfstatiffs Posts: 263, Reputation: 21

May 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
    My cat is TEARING up my carpet!
    Not sure the type of advice I will get on this site, but it's worth a shot.
    I just moved into a new apartment, a large studio with brand new cream colored carpet. How do I train my cat not to tear it up? I try the water bottle and squirting her, but the problem is she like to do it mostly at night when I'm half asleep or when I'm not right there to squirt her. I bought her a carboard scratching post thing this weekend and catnip, tried to put the catnip on it but still no luck she just rolls around where the catnip is. Any suggestions? I hear they make a citrus smelling spray you can put into the carpet that the cats don't like. Or is is bad to de-claw her? She is almost 5 years old. I don't know what to do!
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

May 6, 2008, 10:45 AM
    They do make citrus sprays for furniture, haven't seen any specifically for carpet but I am sure they exist. DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT. She is too old now. If you were going to do this pre 6 months old was the time. De-clawing at this age can cause them massive pain, and can also cause them permanent personality disorders from the shock & trauma of it. As with any pet problem it is always best to start with asking your vet. They should have some answers on products that can be used to keep him off the carpet. If all else fails, buy a big area rug and don't give your kitty a chance on the carpet!
    concerned11 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I agree about not declawing your cat! They have sticky strips at the pet stores to keep cats away from carpet and furniture. I used it before, and yes, it can be a pain to cover a certain area of your carpet put it does work because their paws get stuck to it and they don't like that. Another thing is cats hate the smell of peppermint and vinegar (most of them anyhow) you can get peppermint oil or vinegar and mix with water and spray on area of carpet. Good luck!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Get a scratching post made of carpet material or make one. When you set it out make sure you spray her favorite scratching spot with the cat spray. Hopefullly it will make her seak out the post. I can't think of the name but if you go to Walmart or petsmart and look through the pet products you will find what you need.
    I would also make sure to keep her nails cut.
    I agree with the others please don't have her declawed.
    brkfstatiffs Posts: 263, Reputation: 21

May 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Thanks for the tips! I am making a trip to petco this weekend! And will definitely try the peppermint oil tip. I wasn't planning on de-clawing her, I would never harm my cat. I just got so frustrated I started to think that it was going to have to be a very last resort, but sounds like it doesn't have to be.
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Make sure if you get a peppermint oil that it is non-staining. Most oils will leave a stain. Vinegar sounds like a better option to me.
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

May 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
    If the cat likes the carpet, then a carpet scratching post is your best bet. I would also suggest getting a sisal one too. Cats love the way the sisal rope feels on their pads, and their claws really dig into it. It has a natural outside feel like bark on a tree. Where ever the favorite scratching spots are is where you should put each post. I also suggest putting one in every room.

If you do decide to use the oil, spot test on a small area of the carpet that is near a wall or corner to make sure it does not stain. You could ruin the carpet that way too, and you can kiss your security deposit goodby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I still love my ex-boyfriend and it's tearing me apart [ 4 Answers ]

I am still deeply in love my ex-boyfriend and I just don't know what to do. We were together for 3 months but in reality we basically dated for about 6. I got to know him through school and it really kicked off. We actually live right down the street a few houses away and so that was really...

Tearing Me Apart? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a song title and artist, some of the lyrics are: It's tearing me apart every every day (something like that). Thanks. Cindy

Fear keeps tearing my relationships apart! [ 9 Answers ]

3 years ago, I had just broken up with a man, I was seeing for 3 years and met someone else while out with a girlfriend. I was an emotional mess:eek: and was still hoping to get back together again. The new man (J) showed immediate interest in me yet I told him what I was in the middle of. He...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Tearing down 2 walls [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to remove 2 walls to open it up. We have a truss roof and want to know if we can remove both walls. One wall is part of the wall that runs through the middle of the house between the kitchen and living room, there are support beams in basement under this...

View more questions Search