Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelo244b Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
    1953 5 dollar note
    I came across a 5 dollar bill from 1953. It says series 1953 A. It has a red seal and red serial numbers. There is a red star in front of each serial number and the letter A after. The names are Priest and Anderson. Treasurer and Secretary of Treasury. The serial # is... star 08287916 A. It has a fold right down the center of Lincolns head, edges look good. It looks a little used but in all I would say in good condition. Just wondering if its worth anything. Thanks
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Series Year: 1953A
    Type: Silver Certificate
    Seal Color: Blue
    Average Circulated Note: $5.-$8.
    Uncirculated: $12.+

Apr 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
    No, that answer is wrong. RED seal, RED serial #s. Anyone who can tell me something is appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 11:38 PM
    I see on eBay where the current bid on one that is similar to yours, although they names might not be exactly the same, is $5.00. 1953 United States RED SEAL $5.00 Bill PERFECT Shape! - eBay (item 110247780789 end time May-02-08 21:48:43 PDT) However, what it is worth will greatly depend on its condition and what someone would be willing to pay for it.

I do hope that Flying Blue Eagle will be along to address your question, because he has the current pricing information on currency items of this nature and also really knows how to address questions of the type that you have asked.

May 6, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo244b
    I came across a 5 dollar bill from 1953. It says series 1953 A. It has a red seal and red serial numbers. There is a red star in front of each serial number and the letter A after. The names are Priest and Anderson. Treasurer and Secretary of Treasury. The serial # is... star 08287916 A. It has a fold right down the center of Lincolns head, edges look good. It looks a little used but in all I would say in good condition. Just wondering if its worth anything. Thanks
    I would like my question to come back to the forefront because flying blue eagle didn't answer. I hope to get an opinion from him on this issue.

May 6, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Fling Blue Eagle Please Answer
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
    I am surprised that he hasn't come along, because he's usually on the alert for posts such as yours. I will private message him about your post.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Angelo244b- Thanks there clough, But Ive been out of pocket the last few days, I think I need A lap top. To Carry along with meometimesc , Sorry I haven't gotten back here sooner , While I'am at it My friend Clough, I will be gone ,BEtween the ( MAY 13 Through May 19. Barb & I are going to take our belated honey moon in Branson Mo. It will only be 50 years Late, May the 16 th will be our 50 th wedding Anversy.

Ok Angelo244b , I will be back here tomorrow night And Try to Have answer for you, I will go to the book in a few minuts, There is several places you have to go to ,to get the information you need on this type money , I can't say for sure the exact value for sure, and I want to make sure I don't give you the wrong information.But I will say this , DO NOT GIVE IT AWAY YET < BECAUSE PROPLE DO NOT REALIZE JUST HOW A LOT OF PAPER MONEY LIKE THIS IS REALLY Valuable,And the real reason that a piece of paper money was made this , Look at some of my other posts, I can't think which one right now , maybe brother clough can remember , but I Addressed The reasons of why the star notes are made ,what causes it , IF you can't find it I intend to include it on my next answer back :: I will say good night to you both for right now , its almost 1am c/t GOD BLESS YOU BOTH :::: F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Angelo244b - I need to know a couple of things about the bill , #1 - what is printed at the top of the bill? Does it have ( silver certificatec or National Currency?? Is it a NATIONAL BANK NOTE ISSIUED BY A BANK , Or a LEAGLE TENDER NOTE?? ECT>ECT> Have a good day & GOD BLESS :::: F.B.E.

May 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for getting with me on this blue. On top it says "United States Note" to the left of lincolns picture over the # 5 it says " this note is a legal tender at its face value for all debts public and private" thanks for your help I have read some of your other posts and you really seem to know this stuff. I appreciate your help F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Angelo244b - I haven't forgoten you Ive been going through some books on this subject ,sop that I can give you the whole truth on this bill, Whene it comes to this kind its kind of hard to get all the right information , Ive just about got it all compilled and should have it for you tomorrow night :::
    I'm going to give you some informatio now ::: " the star is placed by the serial # when there has been a change in the design of the bill ( FRONT OR BACK ) OR there has been a change in ,one or both signaturesor when during printing a bill is messed up someway and theu catch it, the note is destroyed and same serial # is used for another new one ,but a STAR is placed with the serial # , If a piece of paper money comes back into the TREASURY, and is messed up ( TORE <SOME OF BILL GONE < ECT>ECT> that bill is destroied and new one made with same serial # but has the RED STAR ::::
    Back in early 1800's several pieces of paper money was first used with the red star around the border as design decorrations , then latter was used as a design to indicate what I just wrote above< ON bank notes the seals were RED Serial # were RED , Some of them had different designs that were RED ON front and back sideTHE number of the bank was Red. This is part of the history of this type of paper money:::
    OUT THERE there is collectors that collecting the star notes is quite a hobby in it self,and to them they are very vauleable, more so to them then to just a reg. collector , A lot of the time it is because they are trying to fill up a set to complete it ( THE SET ) ::::
    When it comes to selling ( coins or paper money, It is not the value put in the books alone, It is just how valuable is it to that person,and how much are they willing to pay for the item, AND DOES HE WANT IT TO COMPLETE A SET OR SOMETHING< ) Lets use this as an example - I have a Lincoln wheat penny collection and I have all but say a 1953S penny and you have one , it will complete my collection of the LINCOLN WHEAT PENNYS . Book value on it is 1.25, but you won't sell it to me that cheap ,I may then offer you $10.00 for it and you say nope ,I want it very bad and I give you another offer and say $30.00 ,and you say $50.00 And Then I say I'll take it :: Or at a actuion old coins and paper money go pretty high ,way above there book valueBUT someone wants it real bad , and the other person at the beginning does also but as bidding keeps going the one person says he wants it bad , I'm goping to make him really pay high for it and it happens So if you put it on EBAY bidding ,just watch the bidding and you will be able to see what I mean and you will know if it is going to sell high or low, I will say this ( Don't GIVE IT AWAY< WIll Good Night for now and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

May 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Take your time FBE. I have googled and yahooed and used a search engine that uses 4 OTHER search engines and I can't find a doggone thing out about this bill. I have found a lot of stuff but so far nothing that looks like this one. So take your time, its not going anywhere and most likely will end up in a protective cover in storage with some old coins I have. I love to look at these things and wonder who held them, where they had been etc. Thanks for your help so far!
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Angelo244b - On your last post, the last sentence, LOOK ON THIS POST OF WHAT I WROTE TO ANSWER A QUESTION ASKED BY ( JUSTCURIOUS55) ON THIS SITE UNDER ( COLLECTABLES ) ON JAN 29, 2008. The question he asked was on a 1957B silver certificate and a 1905 penny. :: I think this posted answer will really go with your last sentence on uyour last post above . I will be getting back on your answer tomorrow , sorry I've been out of pocket since a week ago last Friday, went to BRANSON FOR MY WIFE AND MY 50TH ANVER> HONEY MOON WE NEVER GOT AND TO CELEABRATE THE (50TH)Have a good day &GOD BLESS,:::: F.B.E.

Look For ( Hlortiz15) Right now it is on page 7,Under collectables, The 2ND page of the post #12 & 13 > Check it out , F.B.E.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Just for ease of reference, F.B.E. here is the link to and the post to which you are in reference above.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collec...-153183-2.html

Justcurious55 - I guss the best way to explane it is . ( Saving old or even new coins or paper money is I guess like anything else, Some people collect baseball cards others football, basketball cards, some even cards on raceing,milatary.salt and pepper shakers ( MY MOTHER IN LAW HAD OVER 800 DIFFERENT sets,some collect dishes,glassware,old clocks, old cars, It's kind of a hobby, I got started collecting coins when I was a cub scout as a requirement for a badge, I had to have a hobby of my choosing, I got so I really ENJOYED IT so I kept it up . TO see the difference in coins ,the grades, kinds the art wiork on them,and most of all THE HISTORY OF THEM<AND THE HISTORY OF THE TIME THEY CAME FROM. A lot of people would be surprised on how much the new state quarters have increased in value, some as much as 800 % , You try to get them low in cost and when they have increased quite a bit in value you sell them for a big profit. ( I DON"T )) im saveing mine collection for my two son's and one of my Grandson's that I have gotten interrestered in coin collecting. To me it is really a thrill when I see and hold a coin that is really old, I let a freind hold one of my coins that is almost 300 years old, dated 1739, it gave him such a thrill , you would have to exper. it top really know just what I mean. When you hold you wonder about who has held that coin over all these years& where all it's been. This coin is a british coin, called ( A FARRTHING ) It took 4 of them to make one british penny, it is almost the same size as our old half dollars were. IT was found by a good friend that lives down in allabama , He said he was plowing up his garden to get ready to plant and turned it over with the tiller, and it is in very good shape. The next time you are in walmart, go to the book section ,pick up a coin book and just look threw it or buy one , it is really interesting when you get into it, talk to "CLOUGH" he can give you his thoughts on this also > AND another thing someday america is going to be like europe, a lot of the different countrys over now use the " EURO" for there money, this country is turning into the plastic country, in the future no money , ( JUST A PLASTIC CARD, and with a coin collection then, our great grandchildren will be able to see some of our history that you and I & Everyone else that is living now & in the past what it was like now. :: I hope I have answered your question, If I can be of any more help ,just post it< With F.B.E. on it . ::: Have a good day ,good luck7 GOD BLESS,::::F.B.E.

May 28, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Hello everyone, I have seen that this post has gotten a few views. FBE is helping with my question BUT if anyone else knows ANYTHING about this bill please post an answer. I'm sure its not worth much but like I posted in the past I have tried to find out SOMETHING on this bill and haven't seen anything else like it. I would like to get an idea of what we have here, I can send an email with a scan of it if needed. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Angelo244B - Here is what I have on the note you have..
    Searies 1953 A > $ 5.00 " UNITED STATES NOTE " RED SEAL, RED SERIAL NUMBERS , SIGNATURES - PRIEST & ANDERSON

" Some history on these notes "
    They first came out in 1862 and lasted until 1966
    EARLIER ones actually say " TREASURY NOTE " In fact the VERY FIRST notes " OMIT BOTH " They were the longest lasting kind of AMERICAN MONEY < BEING ISSUED FOR OVER A CENTURY FROM 1862 Until 1966 :: YOU KNOW WHAT STAR NOTES ARE AND WHY < JUST REMEMBER THAT STAR NOTES ARE MORE VAULABLE THEN REG NOTES < USEALLY DOUBLE OR MORE THEN REG NOTES ::
    HERE IS THE VALUE OF THE ONE YOU HAVE
    GOOD-$ 7.50 :: VERY FINE- $ 9.00 :: UNC-$35.00 :: *UNC $ 90.00
    Above is if it has a red star at beginning of serial number ( *UNC )
    HOPE this helps, and answers your questions on the note . Remember that this was out of a 1999 book , I haven't found it in a latter book yet , But I will let you know as soon as I find a latter date :: Good Luck and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    Ericksonrain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 05:02 PM
    I also have a 5 dollar bill like yours and need to know about it as well . I hope FEB has an idea.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Hello, Ericksonrain!

Your question about your bill has already been addressed on the following link. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collec...th-223651.html It would be best to keep any further comments or answers concerning your bill on the thread of the other link because this place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does.

Thanks!
    Leo Vale Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Are you certain it's a 1953 note and not a 1957 note? The reason I ask is that (Robert B.) Anderson didn't serve as Secretary of the Treasury until July 29, 1957. He succeeded George M. Humphrey who had served since January 1953 until replaced by Anderson.

I also have a star $5 red seal United States Note from 1953, series A and the signators are Ivy Baker Priest (Treasurer of the U.S.) and George Humphrey (Secretary of the Treasury).
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vale
    Are you certain it's a 1953 note and not a 1957 note? The reason I ask is that (Robert B.) Anderson didn't serve as Secretary of the Treasury until July 29, 1957. He succeded George M. Humphrey who had served since January 1953 until replaced by Anderson.

I also have a star $5 red seal United States Note from 1953, series A and the signators are Ivy Baker Priest (Treasurer of the U.S.) and George Humphrey (Secretary of the Treasury).
    Leo- I think you need to take anotheer look. I have several different books dateing back to the mid 50's and they all give ( PRIEST - ANDERSON ) on the $5.00 bill in 1953 A
    Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.:) :D :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1953 $2 dollar bill [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a 1953 $2 dollar bill. It is an A series in red letter and numbers. Signed by Priest and Anderson. A 50633688 A. If anyone could tell me how much it is worth I would really be thankful. :) :confused:

1953 TWO Dollar bills qty=50 consecutive serial# [ 1 Answers ]

I came across approximately 50 $2 TWO dollar bills printed in red ink from 1953. They are uncirculated and in mint condition and are consecutively serial numbered. Wondering about an approximate value on the entire lot? Thx

2 Dollar United States Note [ 8 Answers ]

I have a $2.00 United States Note which is 1953 Series and it has a red star before the Serial Number 00134626A which is also in red. Can someone tell me what it is worth? Thank you, Buddy896.

Value of you.S. Dollar compared [ 1 Answers ]

Value of U.S. dollar compared to American Revolutionary War?

View more questions Search