Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexanderneut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Record transactions in general journal form (petty cash fund)
    Hello, everyone.
    The finals are coming up in two weeks and there is one assignment I'm not sure if I did it right. Would be awsome if anyone could help me.

A company established a petty cash fund of $100 on August 1. On August 12, the petty cash fund was replenished when there was $16 remaining and there were petty cash receipts for office supplies $27, transportation-in on inventory purchased $32, and postage @22. On August 23, the petty cash fund was increased to @125 in total Record the transactions in general journal form.

Thank you in advance, alex
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 10:43 PM
    We will tell you if you did it right if you will post your answers.
    alexanderneut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 11:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure, that I did it wrong.
    I can show that I tried it and I am still trying to do it

Petty Cash 100
    Cash 100
    Office supplies 27
    Transpot... 32
    Postrage 22
    How do I record the 16 into the replenished funds?
    What do I do with the 125$ increase...
    I hope this is a start, thanks.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 12:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderneut
    im pretty sure, that i did it wrong.
    I can show that I tried it and I am still trying to do it

Petty Cash 100
    Cash 100
    office supplies 27
    Transpot... 32
    Postrage 22
    how do I record the 16 into the replenished funds?
    what do i do with the 125$ increase...
    i hope this is a start, thanks.
    You need to separate your entries, and also be sure to put Dr & Cr on them, because unless you find a way to make columns, we can't tell.

The entry to set it up is correct.

The entry to replenish the fund is a start. The transportation could easily go to Merchandise Inventory, depending on what method you learned when you did merchandising. And that I can't tell you.

You don't do anything with the 16. That is still left in the fund and stays there. But you need to replenish it to get it back up to the $100 it's supposed to be. The account says there's 100 in there, but there's only 16 in there -- so you pull it out of the checking account in an amount necessary to get it back to 100. How much is that?

But that won't equal your receipts. We use an account called Cash Short & Over whenever there's a cash fund that doesn't come out balancing. You just debit or credit it as needed to make the entry balance.

So you charge the receipts as stated in the problem (which technically should be debits), then what comes out of cash (checking acct) to replenish has to be an amount equal to what's missing from the fund. i.e. how much cash is needed to get the fund back up to full amount. When the two sides don't balance, use Cash Short & Over to balance it.

As for the $125 -- it's increased to $125, not putting $125 into it. There's already $100 in the petty cash fund. How much more needs to go in to get a new fund with $125? And it's the same entry you started with -- because you're doing the same thing.
    moniqueylanan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
    Hi.. I have an answer to your problem..
    I hope this is the correct one..

1. Petty cash 100
    Cash in Bank 100

2. Office supplies 27
    Transportation In 32
    Postage 22
    Cash short and over 3
    Cash in Bank 84

3. Petty cash 25
    Cash in Bank 25
    moniqueylanan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 04:40 AM
    Hi.. I have an answer to your problem..
    I hope this is the correct one..

1. dr.Petty cash 100
    cr.Cash in Bank 100

2. dr.Office supplies 27
    Transportation In 32
    Postage 22
    Cash short and over 3
    cr.Cash in Bank 84

3. dr.Petty cash 25
    cr.Cash in Bank 25
    andreclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Hi, I have an answer, hop I get it right...

1. DR. Petty cash 100
    CR. Cash 100
    2. DR. office Supplies 27
    DR. Merchandise Invty. 32
    DR. Postage 22
    DR. Cash short and over 3
    CR. Cash 84
    3. DR. Petty cash 25
    CR. Cash 25
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2011, 07:49 AM

Office Supplies should be Office Supplies Expense, Merchandise should be Transportation-in, and your Postage should be Postage Expense or other appropriate Expense(Misc Expense).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entry and Petty Cash [ 2 Answers ]

On March 20, Batavia's petty cash fund of $100 is replenished when the Fund contains $9 in cash and receipts for postage $52, freight-out $26, And travel expense $10. Prepare the journal entry to recorded the Replenishment of the petty cash fund.

General Journal Transactions [ 1 Answers ]

When doing a general journal for a new business when you receive a phone bill that isn't due yet or your not having to write a check right then do you record that in the journal when you receive it or not until you pay for it?

Petty cash fund [ 3 Answers ]

I need to decrease a petty cash fund from $200 to $75, I have a current balance of $45 petty cash payment in receipts and $165 in currency. What entry will I use to eliminate the fund? 1. debit to cash short and over for $10 2. Debit ti cash for $90 3. Debit to miscellaneous expenses for $35...

Petty cash transactions... [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Based on the following petty cash info prepare (a) the journal entry to establish a petty cash fund and (b) the journal entry to replenish the petty cash fund. Oct.1.2006 $200.00 check written to establish petty...

View more questions Search