Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jr3rd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Water during or after meals
    What is the rule on drinking water at meal times? I read that water should be taken an hour after you eat. Reason being : it dilutes the digestive enzymes in the stomach which break down the food or something to that effect! My wife insists that my children drink water instead of juice (low in fructose ) with their meals.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 10:57 AM
    You can drink water at any time, before, during or after a meal. Your wife has the right idea of ditch the fruit juice at mealtime and use water instead. You need to be sure that you are not dehydrated either. By the time that you feel thirsty you are actually dehydrated, believe it or not. Most people do not drink enough water during the day and are dehydrated causing all sorts of problems with their body.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Drinking water/beverages make you feel fuller faster and therefore you will eat less. Cold water/beverages gets absorbed by the body faster. Who wants to eat crackers like saltines, without liquid? Any takers?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Yes I have read drinking anything a half an hour before meals to an hour after meals dilutes your digestive enzymes. I have been trying to drink as little as possible with meals but it seems impossible to totally go without drinking anything. Also I have been eating sugar free yogurt and taking digestive enzymes to help with digestion.

Eating and Drinking Don't Mix- Natural Health Articles -Seeking Health

Tips For Better Digestion

National Hindu Students Forum (UK) - Eating the AYURVEDIC way
    Fuchsia Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2008, 08:33 PM
    It is better to drink before or after you eat for the reasons that you gave. I think your wife is right about having your children drink water instead of juice after their meals because it is better to get them in the habit of drinking water as children because there are so many people who are not drinking any water and that is disastrous because our bodies need water.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

May 10, 2008, 03:41 AM
    I eat every 3 hours, 6 to 7 meals per day, each being 800+ calories. On top of that, I drink a gallon (4 litres) of water a day. I don't have ROOM to drink during meals. I find drinking takes up room in the gut. I always drink after my meals, and between.

But of course, some foods require you to drink while eating depending on their consistancy. I can't see someone eating a peanut butter sandwich without drinking...

If your wife is concerned that the kids aren't eating enough, or spending too much time at the table, then yes, try to get them to drink less during the meal and more after. And yes, stay away from the juice. It is unwanted calories during the meal and will cause the kids to fill up faster rather than have room to eat their food. Believe it or not, TOO MUCH juice can make them fat as well. The simple sugars in juice will cause a natural insulin spike...
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Drinking water during after before meals, throughout the day, just drink it. I also agree with your wife, most fruit drinks are presweetend, or contain excess sugar or high fructose corn syrups and kids don't need it. I drink it all day long, it's just great for your body in general.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Everyday meals [ 18 Answers ]

Start a new thread here. What's your favorite quick and easy meal for supper time. How long does it take? What's in it? How about quick outside grilling ideas? All responses are welcome. Even if it's hamburger helper with your own combo's thrown in. Thanks in advance. Stay healthy :)

Meals to eat [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on a diet for a week and it's hard to eat right and to stick with it but I have to because I really want to lose weight I exercise and on slimquick so any help or ideas would help

What are Facts on Drinking Cold Water After Meals? [ 4 Answers ]

It has been said that drinking cold water after meals causes heart attacks. Is this true or is it a myth? Cora

Chinese meals [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like to try out some chinese meals (I got a set of chopstick, so I want to put them to use). What would you recommend for a beginner? I hear they got all kinds of funny combinations like meat with honey and whatnot, so just name me something that will not be THAT strange in the beginning. If I...

View more questions Search