Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omadri7231 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Creating balance sheet from trial balance
    I am having issues getting a balance sheet to come out right from the given data from a trial balance. Can anyone help me out with this? I have included a picture of what I am working on...
    Attached Images

CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
    What do you think the answer is?

Please make an attempt first.

Sep 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    What do you think the answer is?

Please make an attempt first.
    Here is my attempt...
    Attached Images

CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
    You forgot to add Dividends Payable of 136,000 under short term liabilities

You forgot to add the Net Income which is calculated as:

Revenue:
    Sales 9,100,000
    Investment Revenue 63,000
    Gain 90,000

Expenses:
    COGS 4,800,000
    Selling Expense 2,000,000
    Admin Expense 900,000
    Interest Expense 211,000

Net Income = 1,342,000

However….. that Net Income number is not complete as there is no depreciation expense for equipment or building. What more information was given?

Sep 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    You forgot to add Dividends Payable of 136,000 under short term liabilities

You forgot to add the Net Income which is calculated as:

Revenue:
    Sales 9,100,000
    Investment Revenue 63,000
    Gain 90,000

Expenses:
    COGS 4,800,000
    Selling Expense 2,000,000
    Admin Expense 900,000
    Interest Expense 211,000

Net Income = 1,342,000

However…..that Net Income number is not complete as there is no depreciation expense for equipment or building. What more information was given?

The image of the problem is captured from my assignment. That is all the info that was given...
    akreigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Why would the NET INCOME be on the balance sheet? This is not the income statement.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by akreigh
    Why would the NET INCOME be on the balance sheet? This is not the income statement.
    The net income is not directly on a balance sheet, but it increases retained earnings, which is on the balance sheet. The retained earnings is not updated yet in this problem, but rather is still back at a beginning balance. We can tell this because all of the revenue and expense accounts are still listed in the trial balance, meaning retained earnings has not yet been updated to year-end.
    jimmy20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300
    The net income is not directly on a balance sheet, but it increases retained earnings, which is on the balance sheet. The retained earnings is not updated yet in this problem, but rather is still back at a beginning balance. We can tell this because all of the revenue and expense accounts are still listed in the trial balance, meaning retained earnings has not yet been updated to year-end.
    No, question was to make a B/S, and even told to ignore Income tax. Also trial balance
    Does not include Depreciation Exp. So you can't get exact net income which goes to retained erning ending balance for this year balance sheet. So I would use provided R/E amount for this year B/S. by the way your attempt has many errors.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Jimmy, you're quoting me -- but I'm not the one who did all this, only explained net income. And the original question is from 2007.
    BrittyS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Yes, the R/E do need to be adjusted. I was of by 1,332,000 and this question helped me very much! There is one number wrong in the previous answer about net income and it is the gains is only 80,000. Hope this helps, but I spent many hours on it... please read chapter 5 and the LO2 before just copying this answer. I finally got all the assets to match the above spreadsheet, then used this question to get my SE & L to match.
    shiningkitten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 06:51 AM
    OMG, thank you so much!! I spent hours trying to figure out how to connect net income to the balance sheet and it is so easy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance & Balance Sheets [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am using Microsoft Money to do my husband's small company's books (Canada) If it's a sole proprietorship, do I really need a trial balance and balance sheet? Thanks Jeanne

Can not get trial balance to balance [ 1 Answers ]

For my end of month trial balance I have these accounts with these figures Cash - Debit - 273.82 Parts - Debit - 300.93 Service Revenue - Credit - 349.25 Sales tax payable - Credit - 22.39 L. R. Capital - Credit - 146.58 L. R. Drawing Debit - 104.50 Sales - Credit - 315.66 Utilities...

If T-Accounts Balance does this mean balance sheet & P&L work correctly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just wondering been having some problems with my Balance Sheet balancing, I was wondering if the Trial Balance balances, does that mean that the balance sheet will balance? (given that I do everything correctly? ) Also just a quick question while I'm asking, regarding depreciation in...

Trial balance [ 3 Answers ]

I have this question about a trial balance, every time I try to balance it I come with debits 42,110 and credits 42,390. I really do not enjoy trial balances and my teacher has not explained one in class yet, but it is in my homework. The subtractions and additions are my attempts to balance them...

View more questions Search