Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AzGeezer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 12:22 AM
    Overweight Pomeranian
    Am caring for a neighbor's 5-year-old neutered male Pom. Vet told neighbor that dog is overweight. We need to know what dog's weight should be in order to use feeding charts to help dog loose the excess weight. Does anyone know how to determine this dog's ideal weight?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Hi, Az,
    You should be able to feel his ribs, by running your fingers over his sides. You should be able to see a rib or two.
    If you can't feel any ribs with your hand or fingers, sliding your fingers from the front toward the back of the dog, then he is overweight.
    Take him for walks everyday, about 45 mintues each time. And, feed him dry dog food, using the amount on the side of the package.
    You can determine his weight by either taking him to a Vet, or you can pick him up, and stand on a scale... then subtract your weight from the total of both you and him.
    Also, here is a site with pictures, and explanations.
    http://www.placervillevet.com/canine...0condition.htm
    If you are caring for the dog, for your neighbor, are you going to have it very long?
    Weight loss takes awhile. If your neighbor gets the dog back, he/she will have to continue doing what you are, in order for the dog to get back to a good weight.
    Best wishes.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 06:49 AM
    My reference book gives an average of 11 pounds for a Pomeranian. Individual dogs vary. If the dog needs to lose weight, start feeding it somewhat less that you are feeding it now. If it needs to lose a large part of its body mass, you may want to switch to a weight loss formula. As I have posted here many times before, the best way to determine a dogs body condition is to check its ribs. Here is an illustrated chart you can use to determine when the dog reaches ideal body weight. It is the method I was taught by a large dog guide school, and I, and many others I know, have used it for years.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    AzGeezer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 10:55 PM
    Thanks fredg & labman. I used your information to help plan the Pom's feeding & activity while he was with me. I also passed the information on to the owner in hopes that he will continue to modify the dog's diet; he has already increased their exercise time.
    Gratefully,
    AzGeezer
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Hi, Az,
    You are quite welcome.
    You are a wonderful person suggesting the owner keep up what you started! It could add 4 or 5 years to the dog's life; not being overweight.
    Congratulations, and I, too, hope the owner keeps up with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

14 months female Pomeranian renal failure suspect ethylene glycol poison please HELP! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 14 month old female pomeranian. She was fine two days ago. Then on Saturday, I notice she wasn't barking like she normally do. She wasn't eating. She drank but vomits it right out. On Sunday, she was shaking. The vet clinic was closed on the weekend, so today (Monday) I bought...

I'm about 60 pounds overweight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, if anyone can help me that would be great. I want to find a really good way for me to exercise but my problem is this. I had a c-section when I had my son and now I have my lower stomach hanging a bit , most of my weight is from that are to my chest, I have large...

Exercises to do when you are overweight [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is very overweight around the middle but her back stops her from doing sit ups , she can't walk more than about 20 steps and she has to stop. She had back surgery 2 years ago and she is still in pain. She is 58 yrs old and has had panic attacks and anxiety attacks when you least expect...

Overweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cat who is about 7 years old, 25 pounds and keeps getting the crystals back in his urine. I have him on the WD right now, but the vet said we needed to take him in to have X-rays to make sure he doesn't have stones. He has been going through test after test during the past 6 months and...

View more questions Search