Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

May 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Dog eating granola bars?
    My dog ate one of my nature valley oats and honey crunchy granola bars he hasn't shown any signs of being sick but I'm afraid it might be dangerous for him in the long run. Anyone ever had any experience with this? It's all natural ingredients but I'm still learning about what a dog can and cannot eat and I don't want to be the cause of him falling ill because I let him eat something he shouldn't have.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
    If you knew all the things that my Jack Russel eats and likes that is considered "people food" you'd relax about granola bars. I don't know of any ingredient contained in granola bars that would hurt your dog. My dog likes iceberg lettuce, strawberries, watermelon, chili, spaghetti, coffee with cream, ice cream (Bryers thank you), walnuts, pecans, peanuts, chicken, pot roast, steak, olives, pickles, potato chips, loves sardines, salmon, crab meat, shrimp, red licorice, sour gummys, lemonade, hamburgers, broccoli, peas, corn, green beans, canned peaches, ramen soup, macaroni, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, any kind of cheese, crackers of any kind, Campbell's soups, tuna fish, raw egg noodles (loves better than dog biscuits), hard boiled eggs, and her ultimate favorite is Q-tips with the paper sticks. She has never been ill in her life eating this mis mash in addition to her regular kibble food.

And you are worried about granola bars?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
    My dog of long ago really loved the juice left over when squeezing tuna in the can and any kind of cheese.

The meanest thing I did was to put whipped cream on the tip of his nose and watch him try to "lick it off". It was hilarious. Dog learned to wipe on paw and eat method quickly.
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

May 2, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Okay well now I can relax but what are some things I should keep him away from besides chocolate?

With my cat we fed her everything except cat food lol. But with my dog I'm just so afraid for him because I've never had a dog before and I'm just getting used to it. It's only been a few months. So thank you for your help and I feel a lot better now.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Cat food for one is definitely not good for a dog. The same goes for cats eating dog food. There are certain things in each food that is specific for that animal.

Chicken and turkey bones of course should not be given to a dog as they can splinter and cause internal damage.

Really any kind of people food is okay provided the dog likes it and you don't feel it is bad. Chocolate of course is not good. The bakers chocolate is especially toxic to dogs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 07:07 PM
    This is quite serious if it had raisens in it. It only takes a few of them to kill some dogs. If it did, call the vet now, like Sunday night. If you can't raise the vet, give it a table spoon of peroxide. If it doesn't throw up in 15 minutes, give it more.

I suggest you compare my profile to that of those saying it is OK. I post very little here because I think the management is too tolerant of bad advice
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
    No-No List
    Do not feed your dog the following:
    - Alcoholic beverages
    - Chocolate
    - Coffee
    - Grapes & raisins
    - Moldy or spoiled food
    - Onions, garlic & chives
    - Poultry bones
    - Salt & salty foods
    - Tomato leaves, stems & unripe fruit
    - Yeast dough

ASPCA: Dog Care
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 5, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    No-No List
    Do not feed your dog the following:
    - Alcoholic beverages
    - Chocolate
    - Coffee
    - Grapes & raisins
    - Moldy or spoiled food
    - Onions, garlic & chives
    - Poultry bones
    - Salt & salty foods
    - Tomato leaves, stems & unripe fruit
    - Yeast dough

ASPCA: Dog Care
    You are exactly right, and thank you for adding a few more I didn't even know about. I don't know the deal with unripe fruit, tomato leaves/stems, and yeast dough... but I doubt my fussy girl would bother with any of those anyway! ;) (I'm a bit sad because my fur babe is in the emerg hosp right now... not because of anything she ate... but I will take any tips to keep her healthy)

I do know that chocolate and onions are a BIG NO NO! I had a dog long ago that went into convulsions when he accidentally got into a box of chocolates when we were sleeping. Dogs love it... but it can kill them!. or leave you with a very costly vet bill!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Star.. I wish the best for your baby.
    There is a more indepth list,but I could not find it. If I can find it I will post it.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 5, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    star..I wish the best for your baby.
    There is a more indepth list,but I could not find it. If I can find it I will post it.
    Thanyou! Had to spread the rep, but good info.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Grapes and raisins are among the most deadly of all. Too bad somebody assured the OP that a granola bar is OK. The safest course is is to feed a dog chow and very little else. That is quite easy to remember and no need of lists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toronto Hotel - Near Downtown Bars [ 5 Answers ]

All right between Google local and expedia I have not been able to nail down a good hotel within walking distance of downtown Toronto. I am assuming that downtown is the place to be because of the bars and nightclubs.. Please tell me if this is an incorrect assumption. Anyway a hotel within...

Creating sidebars and overhead bars [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building the homepage part of the website and I need to make a sidebar and an overhead (upper) bar. How do I do it? **I only want to write a declarion for the whole website so these bars should stay on every page.

Kashi bars [ 4 Answers ]

Are the kashi bars good for you. On commercials they say they are but I don't completely believe that. I have tried it before and they are not bad but they just have about 200 calories in one "roll". That's what they call it but its like a bar. Anyone whose tried it or know about it help/

Why don't panels come with ground bars? [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a sub panel last summer. I had to buy and install a ground bar kit. Time after time I read careful instructions here to buy and install a ground bar, mount it with machine screws, and if a main panel, bond it to the neutral. Where would you use a panel that doesn't need an equipment...

Black bars on side of monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I've switched to a larger monitor but now I have a black bar on either side of the screen which is where the old monitor came to. Is there any way to fix this so that the screen fits the desktop? Without any black bars?

View more questions Search