Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099confusion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Inaccurate IRS form 1099-A
    I recently learned from the IRS that I must file a tax return for year 2005 because form 1099-A was filed in my name. I went and got a transcript from IRS records and I see where the 1099-A says the fair market value of my home was $12,000.00; BUT THE TRUTH is that my home was recorded as being sold at auction for a bid of $120,000.00. Secondly, the 1099-A says I am still responsible for a debt amount of $86,000. AND THE identity of the company which is listed as having "acquisitioned" my home IS NOT THE SAME entity named on the auction deed. Thirdly, contrary to the May 2005 acquistion date listed on the 1099-A, I DID NOT abandon my home, but I was evicted in August 2005.. It is out the question getting the originator of the phony 1099-A to correct it because the fraud was intentional -which is why they never sent me a copy of the 1099-A they filed. Moreover, HOW CAN THE 1099-A BE CORECT IN REPORTING I STILL AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IF MY HOME STATE LAWS deemed the foreclosure was WITHOUT BENEFIT OF APPRAISAL! In other words, don't foreclosures WITHOUT APPRAISAL mean that the debt MUST become cancelled SINCE "DEFICIENCY" JUDGMENTS cannot be granted for non-appraisal foreclosures? Should the 1099 have been a 1099-C?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
    You need to challenge the veracity of the Form 1099-A with the IRS. Contact them to discuss the issue in detail, bringing your paperwork with you.

If the IRS representatives will not help you, contact the Tax Advocate to help in your case.
    Bamboozled1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
    QUESTION: I have a 1099A for a home that was secured through a primary res. Loan. Box five is marked as borrower personally liable for debt. The FMV is listed higher than the principal bal. Will I owe taxes on anything. There is a $27000.+negative if I am doing the math correctly.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 07:24 AM

Since the FMV is greater than the loan principal, you do not owe taxes on anything here. The 1099-A is just for information purposes. If the FMV was LESS than the loan principal, the lender would have sent a 1099-C form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rec'd IRS form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello--I received an IRS form indicating I had interest income reported to them, in toal of $22.00, but I am not sure who this belongs to--it has a FIN, is there a way I can find out who this is from? I have several interes incomes to report, but this FIN is not on any that I have received for...

1099 from the IRS [ 6 Answers ]

I received a 1099 from the IRS stating that I had $15 Interest paid or credited to me. I don't ever remember getting $15 from them, yet I have to claim it as income. How can I find out if it was credited to me, and can I subtract it from what I owe? Does it get reported just like any other...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

IRS W-7 Form clarification [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 and will be filing the Fed Tax as "married filing jointly" with my wife. I would need to submit a W-7 for my wife (on H4) as she does not have SSN. Looking at the revised W-7 at the IRS site - I want to know what's the correct option for my wife - for applying for ITIN Option (c) -...

1099-C form IRS [ 1 Answers ]

Hello About 2 years ago I was approached by a person regarding a business loan. I accepted a loan form this person in the amount of 67K by a check. This was made out to my LLC and deposited into my business checking account. I waited the required amount of time set by the bank before the fund were...

View more questions Search