Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbearkrue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 07:40 AM
    GXL Wire Ampacity
    :confused: What is the ampacity of 10 AWG GXL (125 C) wire in "free air" when used on a 120 VAC (nominal) circuit? Also, what is a good definition of "free air"?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 1, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Free air is like an overhead span.

Where would you possibly be using wire in free air??

May 1, 2008, 09:32 AM
    The wires are used as internal wires in a transfer swith. They are in a 12x10x4 enclosure BUT not in a raceway, cable or buried application (like NEC Table 310.16). Would the enclosure be considered a raceway or conduit?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 1, 2008, 09:49 AM
    No, it would be considered an enclosure. #10 is typically rated at 30 amps. There are considerations- How many wires in the enclosure? How many CURRENT carrying wires are in the enclousre?

May 1, 2008, 10:03 AM
    A total of 18 10AWG wires carrying 50 Amps each (worst case) to/from the relays. There are also 8 16AWG wires carrying < 200 mA for the control circuit. The NEC 310.17 chart would allow 55 Amps (in free air, at 30 C) for 90 C wire. GXL is 125 C but the chart does not have that column.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
    50 amps is a lot of current for #10. Intermittently it may be OK but personally, I wouldn't use #10. In close confines the ampacity drops due to heat considerations. Remember "FREE AIR". Means the wires are able to dissipate any heat generated by the current draw. Can the enclosure be ventilated in some way to help with heat?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the ampacity for 8 AWG wire? 50 or 40 [ 12 Answers ]

Every electrician I ask tell me different story This is important since wire are very expensive I am need to connect an air-condition rated 240 50 Amp 3 wires (2 hot and ground) According to the NEC Table 310.16 Allowable Ampacities of Insulated Conductors Rated 0 Through 2000 Volts, 60°C...

Can the CB in a subpanel exceed the ampacity of the CB in the Main Disconnect? [ 3 Answers ]

Can the main breaker in a sub panel exceed the ampacity of main breaker in the primary disconnect?

Electric service panel ampacity limit [ 1 Answers ]

What is the rule of thumb for the sum of circuit breaker ampacities that can be installed in a breaker panel? (I know that we can put more than 10 twenty amp breakers in a 200 amp panel, but don't know what the upper limit is.)

Ampacity Ratings [ 1 Answers ]

I need help finding ampacity ratings for the following type wires coatings - FRXLPE and FREPR, 90 deg C and 105 deg C. I am unable to find any type of ratings in the NEC.

View more questions Search