Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Wow, I love this thread! I am loving all of your talents!
    I like to sew, draw (with the kids) Stencils are my friend, and I love to make Samplers!
    My love is to decorate with antiques real old and tattered antiques!
    Thanks for all you posts, this is great!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
    And, thank you for posting startover22! Got any images to post of your crafts?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Let me see if I can get all this camera and sizing to work. I have this new puter, I will get something I promise, some day! I am so excited about this thread! I love the talent here on AMHD!
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
    I do know what you mean about using a new computer! It does take awhile to get used to using things... What program or programs are you using for your image editing, please?
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 02:43 AM
    Come on people! Where are your craft things? I know that we have a number of crafters on this site! This is an ideal thread where you could be displaying and sharing images of them.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 08:43 PM
    I am wondering if anyone does snack or cookie plates (glass). I have done a few. I purchase the clear small plates at Hobby Lobby. I enjoy doing them but would love to find a thinner, dressier plate to use.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Oh gosh I don't even know what I use. Media play I think. Sorry Clough.
    Jrebel, I would love to see your plates, I love old antique cake plate, I didn't know you could make one?? :) To find thinner dressier plates you could go to goodwill, or a used shop that sells dishes and such. I have to ask, does it have to be clear glass and what do you do to them? Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Oh gosh I don't even know what i use. Media play I think. Sorry Clough.
    Jrebel, I would love to see your plates, I love old antique cake plate, I didn't know you could make one??? :) To find thinner dressier plates you could go to goodwill, or a used shop that sells dishes and such. I have to ask, does it have to be clear glass and what do you do to them? Thanks!
    Hey there Starty! The plates don't have to be clear, it is just what I started using since I put all the paint on the back of the plate so food can be served on plain glass. I purchased some glasses at Pottery Barn for $2.00 apiece which I loved. I posted at least one of those I think earlier on another art thread. Did you see it? It had almost like prisms in the clear glass and was on a stem with a cobalt blue circle handle.

The plates I use are just heavier than I like. I hand paint some, doing reverse painting on the back. Other's I have used Victorian prints from past Calendars I have had. Each year, I usually get one for Christmas by the same artist. I have used Christmas wrapping paper, some tissue wrapping paper, applied with just Elmer's Glue. I sometimes use Gold Leaf in the tube, get a dab on my finger and go around the edges of the plate. On the ones I just use paint (Acrylic Glossies), after it dries, I put in an oven, low heat for 20 minutes or so. I always put at least two coats of Polycrylic on the back of the plate. I also put a note (if giving as a gift) that these are not dishwasher safe but can be safely washed and hand dried but should not sit in water.

When I worked outside the home, I gave the plates as Christmas gifts to co-workers, depending on their likes, hobbies, etc. to family members and other friends. I have never put them in my art shows I do because I do only "Fine Art" shows for my pencils but maybe one day, when I have more time, I will enter craft shows and show them there. Because of time constraints, I have even cut out other art shows and only do one a year now. Hopefully later! :)

EDIT:: I probably should mention that I would not sale the plates that I use the calendar pictures on, just give as gifts. I wouldn't use another artists work even from a calendar for profit. Every surface can be an artists canvas so I would do original work if I were going to sell them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:26 PM
    WOW, that sounds wonderful.
    Oh crafts of all sorts make wonderful gifts. I understand the time thing, I haven't had time to do many crafts since my third child was born 6 years ago... Heehee!
    I am going to try and get some things together, most of what I have done, I have given as gifts and never thought about taking pictures. Or have sold when we moved her from Alaska. I now wish I hadn't. I am going to go to the art thread and check out the plates. Thanks for the info and directions!:)
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:35 PM
    WOW, that sounds wonderful.
    Oh crafts of all sorts make wonderful gifts. i understand the time thing, I haven't had time to do many crafts since my third child was born 6 years ago....Heehee!
    I am gonna try and get some things together, most of what I have done, I have given as gifts and never thought about taking pictures. Or have sold when we moved her from Alaska. I now wish i hadn't. I am going to go to the art thread and check out the plates. Thanks for the info and directions!:)
    I am anxious for you to be able to post your work. I think I am missing something wonderful!

I always encourage everyone to take photos of their work. I wish you had. I use to decorate cakes. That is when I began taking photos of all my cakes and other work. Once those cakes are at the party, zingo, they are gone, gone, gone. Well, except for the one I made my brother. It was in the shape of an airplane. He had just gotten his pilot's license and he would not cut the cake! It was his birthday cake for goodness sakes. LOL They put it in their freezer and ate it the next year on his birthday. :eek:

As with any art work or craft, they take hours to make and little time to devour or take away to a new home. Once I give them though, I just say enjoy. Mother never wanted to cut the cakes I made. I told her that is why I made them "TO EAT"! But it is a nice compliment. :)

I don't think I knew you had lived in Alaska. What an adventure! :p
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:57 PM
    It's okay! ;) I haven't exactly been up-to-snuff in responding to people in recent weeks either!
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Hey there Starty! The plates don't have to be clear, it is just what I started using since I put all the paint on the back of the plate so food can be served on plain glass. ......
    If you are painting on the bottom of the plate, don't you have to think like backward or something so that certain things will look correct when viewed from the front of the plate? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Every surface can be an artists canvas so I would do original work if I were going to sell them.
    Did you know that Beethoven even composed on walls and other surfaces than manuscript paper? :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    If you are painting on the bottom of the plate, don't you have to think like backward or something so that certain things will look correct when viewed from the front of the plate? :confused:

Did you know that Beethoven even composed on walls and and other surfaces than manuscript paper? :D

Yepper, you have to do what is called "reverse painting". It makes my brain tired to do it but I hang in there and do it from time to time. :p

I am no genius in any way, shape or form, but I have to admit, I use to be laying in bed and just before going to sleep, maybe 2:00 in the morning, a poem would come to me. I kept a pencil beside my bed and wrote it in the dark on the wall by my bed... too tired to get up! Then I would copy it the next morning onto paper. Well, the last time I painted my bedroom, I made the decision to stop doing that... not a good example for the children! LOL ;)
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Well, HELLO MRS. BEETHOVEN!! :D
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Well, HELLO MRS. BEETHOVEN!! :D
    Hello, hello! I will take my bows now if that is okay!! :p You are a funny guy tonight!!
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Jrebel, I would love to see your plates, I love old antique cake plate, I didn't know you could make one??? :) To find thinner dressier plates you could go to goodwill, or a used shop that sells dishes and such. I have to ask, does it have to be clear glass and what do you do to them? Thanks!
    I am posting a few of my plates. The first one was done using just wrapping paper and tissue wrapping paper with gold leaf around the edge. The leaves had to be painted on prior to adding the wrapping paper with roses. The second one was done using a picture from a Victorian Calendar and the third was done as a gift for a friend at work using Christmas wrapping paper. The dots were done prior to painting the rest of the background color. The fourth plate was also done as a gift for a co-worker. She collected and loved starfish, dolphins, all kinds of things from the sea, little items used to line the top of her cubicle at work. The is all just paint and had to do some using "reverse painting". I hope you enjoy viewing them. They are rewarding to me to make. There is a great feeling of accomplishment for me when I finish one of these. They are unusual and useable since you can serve food in the plate, as there is no paint in the inside of the plate.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Nice Jan, those are great! Now I know what you are talking about. I got it... ;)
    Just wonderful, I may need a few more directions to start one, but I will get back to you on that as soon as I get the supplies!

You are so versitile Jan, you keep knockin' me off my feet with all the great talent you have! :):):)
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Nice Jan, those are great! Now I know what you are talking about. I got it....;)
    Just wonderful, I may need a few more directions to start one, but i will get back to you on that as soon as I get the supplies!!

You are so versitile Jan, you keep knockin' me off my feet with all the great talent you have!!:):):)
    Thanks Starty! Don't know about versatile, just one of those people who are a "jack of all trades and master of none"! I do a few of one craft but tire of them after a bit and have to try something else. I do appreciate the compliment though very much! :p You gave me a lift to my day!

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to wash the plate then wipe down area you are going to be painting on with denatured alcohol or I have just used Windex. This just removes any oils from handling the plate, so the paint adheres really well.

Let me know anytime you have a question. I will be more than happy to answer any thing I am able to! LOL
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 09:13 AM
    One big question, do you paint on top of the plate after you adhere the paper to the back?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 09:20 AM
    One big question, do you paint on top of the plate after you adhere the paper to the back?
    No, all painting is done on the underside or backside of the plate. Any thing you see, such as with the roses plate, is painted on the back of the plate, prior to the paper being glued to the back. The gold leaves around the border are done with acrylic "Emperor Gold" I believe. I will check that name of paint and if the name is not correct, I will get back with you. Any dots you see, such as the gold ones on the Santa Plate is done first, then the paper is applied. :)

The tropical plate, you have to do air bubbles, stripes, etc. first, then after all are painted and dry, paint the back of the plate with the color or your choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crafts for candles [ 3 Answers ]

I have a candle business and I am looking for craft ideas to help sell and decorate candles. I have pattern for votive roses but would like to do more. Thank you

Where can find crafts for kids [ 8 Answers ]

I want know where you find crafes for kids

More ideas for candle crafts? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a candle business and we make some pretty cool candle crafts like votive roses and scented animals but I would love some more ideas. Any ideas are appreciated!

View more questions Search