Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YZ123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 10:59 PM
    How to evict a tenant w/o lease as new landlord
    I will close soon a new purchased house in California . An existing tenant has been there for one year, without any lease agreement, never paid rent; The tenant informed me that she will move out upon finding new place, how can I get her out as soon as possible or have her signed up a lease during her staying at my house? Can I change new locks but provide copy of keys to her? Or request a key to her house so that I can perform repairs or showing to potential clients? Thanks!:
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
    You should check into the local laws in your community regarding eviction, the do differ from one county to another and from state to state.

You now hold all the cards. You can try to work out a new least agreement on your terms, how much rent, length of lease, and how much security deposit you require. If you want to continue to rent to this person, present them with the new terms. They can accept, or deny them. If they accept, stick your hand out and demand payment. If they can't pay, then start the eviction process. If they refuse the new terms, give them the required notice to vacate and follow the laws for your county if they refuse to leave.

Good Luck!
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 1, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Was the tenancy part of the sales contract? If not, she has no right to be there. You can have her removed but it will take time. Personally, I would never have agreed to having a previous tenant in there at the time of sale. Check you sales contract and ask your lawyer,, that is why you have him!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict a tenant without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

In Illinois, how do I legally evict my tenant that does not have a lease for non payment of rent?

Can a landlord tell you to sign an early lease termination or they will evict you? [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out what to do. I asked her why and she said just because she don't want me here was the reply. Then some strange person knocked on my door asking for someone I don't know and I told this person that I didn't know the person they were looking for and closed my door. The next...

Is it easier to evict a tenant under a lease or a land contract? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new construction house for sale, in a well-to-do suburb of Detroit, MI. We've been approached by a couple, recently married, both bringing children into the family, and both with past credit problems. It's been recommended that we offer them either a land contract or a lease with an...

How can a landlord evict a tenant with a mental illness going by hear say [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina. I live in an apartment that is owned by mha.nc.gov/hud.nc.org. I'm bipolar, I received an eviction notice on Nov.6,2007. I have to move out on Dec.5,2007, I did appeal it and I have a meeting on Nov.16,2007. The reasons for evictions, are on October 16, I was...

Tenant on lease wants 'evict' his roommate . [ 2 Answers ]

We have a tenant that has a roommate (his brother) that is supposed to pay rent too. I understand the tenant is responsible for paying the rent since he is the one on the lease however he wants his bro to move out because he is not paying his share. We want the person on the lease to stay but...

View more questions Search