Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jpolous Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Fighting credit card debt in court
    I have a 4 year old credit card debt that will be going to court in one month.
    I attended a pre-trial conference a few days ago with no compromise. I had previsously attempted to settle the debt for less than what I owed prior to the pre-trial conference, which only seemed to validate to the collectors that I did not dispute the debt (which I don't, I certainly owe the money, but the amount due is what is in question).
    The plaintiff is Capital One, however, Capital One has assigned or sold my account to a collection agency and is no longer dealing with my past due account. My question is: can the law firm who is taking me to court, do so on behalf of Capital One, when my credit card account has already gone to collection?
    I am in the process of validating my debt with the law firm (debt collectors) and was curious if they even had a case with Capital One listed as the plaintiff on the court summons.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Collection agencies will use law firms to obtain a judgment against you. You say that you're disputing the amount owed; have you factored in late fees, interest, penalties..

You have already validated the debt because you tried to make a settlement offer. Yes, they do have a case because Capital One is who you officially owe the debt to. The collection agency is doing just that: collecting. Capital One is still involved but they're letting someone else handle it.
    atlmiss Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Are you sure the statute of limitations hasn't run out on this debt? Many states are 4 years... this could make your case uncollectable whether you owe it.

Regardless, show up in court! Otherwise they get an automatic judgement. A lot of times the collection agency doesn't even bother showing up and sends a lawyer which is grounds for case dismissal. No plaintiff no case!

I went to trial last summer over a disputed amount debt and it was dismissed because the plaintiff didn't even show . They couldn't prove anything. Check my previous posts and you can see what happened!

Hope this helps.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atlmiss
    Are you sure the statute of limitations hasn't run out on this debt? Many states are 4 years...this could make your case uncollectable whether or not you owe it.
    You're right in regards to the SOL; however, they wouldn't have a case if it was out of SOL. I turned an account over to collections and they told me that because it was out of SOL, they wouldn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by atlmiss
    Regardless, show up in court! Otherwise they get an automatic judgement. Alot of times the collection agency doesn't even bother showing up and sends a lawyer which is grounds for case dismissal. No plaintiff no case!
    Absolutely; they do need to show up! And you're right about the plaintiff not showing up; they need to if they want to back their case. However, if the lawyer is representing the collection agency, then that is not grounds for dismissal.

So I guess the bottom line is, he needs to show.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Justice Court citation for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

I was just given a justice court citation for old credit card debt that I incurred with a old boyfriend. I am now married and do not work. What do I do? I did not receive anything in the mail in regards to going to be sued. I live in Texas. What do I do?

Summons for credit card debt I've been fighting [ 2 Answers ]

In 2005, I moved twice in a short span of time due to some non-financial personal issues. Somehow, in all the chaos, I lost track of a Sears credit card ($3300 balance) that I was paying off via ACH. When I closed my bank account, I completely forgot to transfer the payment to my new bank...

Court Date for Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I'm being assigned to have a court day for the credit cards debt (2004). I'm willing to pay what my original credit limit was. But the creditors are suing me triple the amount that my credit limit was. What should I do? Thank you in advance.

Court summons for past credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 23 year old full time college student and I work part time as a cashier. I just received a summons to appear in court for the amount of $2900.00 that they say I owe them from a card two years ago. I stopped paying on it over two years ago. This is higher than the actual amount of the...

View more questions Search