Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranjan2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice?
    Hello!
    The rental property is in cupertino, California.

I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff?

Question - Am I required to give a 30 day notice to vacate from my month to month lease? Am I responsible for paying a min. of 30 days even if I want to vacate within 15 days of receiving the 60 day notice to vacate from the new landlord??

Regards,
    Ranjan
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
    My understanding in CA, it is a 30 day notice if there is not something else listed in the lease and / or rental agreement.

But you may just call the landlord since he wants you out anyway, he may be willing to allow you out in 15 days

Apr 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Thanks for your prompt reply. The new owner wants a 30 day notice as there are 3 other rental units and none have vacated still. The 60 day notice says on or before the 60 day period expires. I would like to know what the law is in CA.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
    HMMMM, if he worded the notice as to say on or before, you may have them on that loop hole. The issue will be this, you move before using his notice, he does not agree, he sues you for rent, you counter sue for deposit back. It will end up in court if he doesnot agree no matter what happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
    You need to look carefully at the wording on the notice. You might have him as Chuck indicated. Or you could just move when you want and pay the full 30 days.

Apr 28, 2008, 01:07 PM
    The 60 day termination of tenancy notice also states that "it does not relieve you of payment of any financial obligation for rent owed until the actual date of termination of tenancy. "

As I mentioned earlier it states that "you must peaceably vacate the premises and remove all personal property on or before the 60 day period ends"

The question here is do I have to give a 30 day notice to end the tenancy? Does it mean that a person can give a 30 day notice a day before the 60 day period and stay for another 30 days??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
    I think you are free to go. Both clauses would seem to free you to move before the 60 day time frame and to only pay until the termination date.

Apr 29, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Thanks Scott! My only concern is the date of termination. The notice says that the termination date is 60 days from the date of notice. I cannot terminate the rental agreement before 30 days on my own to make the termination date shorter.

They do free me from the 60 day time frame as you said but I think I cannot vacate without paying a min. of 30 day rent.

Pl. comment .
    Thanks,
    Ranjan
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
    My totally un-legal opinion... if you want to leave at the end of the 60 days, you do not need to give a 30-day notice. If you want to leave before the 60 days, I would give a 30 day notice. And, you are always safe if you give one, even if you don't technically have to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice to Quit/Vacate (DC) [ 2 Answers ]

I live in DC and have 18 months left on the 2-year lease I signed with the landlord. About 2 months ago, the landlord informed me that he is selling the apartment, hopefully to another investor, who would then become my new landlord. The landlord ended up accepting an offer from an individual...

Notice to Vacate [ 3 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 notice to vacate before the end of my contract and the landlord enters into a contract with a new tenant (that I provided) to start the day that my contract ends. Can the landlord still keep my security deposit stating that I broke my contract.

30 day notice to Vacate [ 13 Answers ]

My landlord has given me a 30 day notice to vacate to another apartment so mine can be renovated. I have lived there since 1975 (32 years). I don't mind moving to another apartment, but on January 17th I am having heart surgery and would like to know if I can ask for more time to move. I have...

60 days notice to vacate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We own a home which we have leased to tenants. The lease states leasor needs to give 60 days notice to vacate. We wrote a letter, giving them the 60 days notice and sent it registered mail. Turns out they were on a two week vacation and didn't receive the notice until they returned. Now,...

View more questions Search