Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atvingnc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Max. Distance between p-trap and vent stack
    Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? If the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a separate vent / drain ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by atvingnc
    Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? if the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a seperate vent / drain ?
    Yes therei is. Depending on what code you're under. For a 1 1/2" drain from trap to vent. UPC= 3.5 feet, SPC and IPC= 5 feet. We install our sink line a minimum of 2" and some local codes mandate a 3" drain. The increased size is due to the garbage disposals that are being installed. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Hi atving NC

Like Speedball said... YUP! Distance requirements.

Just in case ATVINGNC was wondering what UPC and SPC and IPC stand for... They refer to the codes that different states use to govern plumbing.

In Massachusetts, it is the UPC (uniform plumbing code).. and it states 5 feet maximum from trap to vent (*sticking tongue out at Tom*). Each state follows one code or the other.. so you may want to check requirements in your particular area (call local plumbing inspector and ask him).

The other code books are unimportant! Just kidding everyone...just kidding! IPC (international plumbing code), and SPC (standard plumbing code)... there are others, too.

Anyway... was good question, just wanted to clarify all those initials!

Good day... Mark
    glfbob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Anybody happened to know what code Virginia follows?

Apr 22, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Distance between p-trap and vent
    This was answered in general. I have a more specific question. What code does Virginia follow and is there a method of getting the vent closer to the p-trap in an island or bar?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 06:10 AM
    The question should probably have been "What code does xxxxxx county in Va use". I believe Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria use the IPC.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glfbob
    This was answered in general. I have a more specific question. What code does Virginia follow and is there a method of getting the vent closer to the p-trap in an island or bar?
    Virginia follows The International Plumbing Code. You ask,
    is there a method of getting the vent closer to the p-trap in an island or bar
    Since the vent in a island vent is a part of the island loop, (see image) I don't understand your question. Could you be a little more descriptive with your question? Just what is it you wish to move? Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hi atving NC

Like Speedball said...YUP!! distance requirements.

Just in case ATVINGNC was wondering what UPC and SPC and IPC stand for.....They refer to the the codes that different states use to govern plumbing.

In Massachusetts, it is the UPC (uniform plumbing code)..and it states 5 feet maximum from trap to vent
    *scratches head*

Exactly which edition/version of the UPC are you using?

A maximum developed length of 3-1/2 feet for an 1-1/2 trap has been in every edition of the UPC since at least 1985.

Seriously... You've made a number of claims over the months regarding the UPC that simply do not jibe with the several printed editions I have worked from over the past 20 years -- Wet venting, trap-arm lengths, foot/loop vent configurations, clotheswasher standpipe heights, fixture counts and unit loading, just to name a few.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but when I Plumbed in Massachusetts back in the 80's, we used the 'Massachusetts Uniform State Plumbing Code', which is an entirely different animal than the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials 'Uniform Plumbing Code'.

IIRC, (and I'm pretty sure I do) the Massachusetts Uniform State Plumbing Code is based almost entirely on the 'International Plumbing Code'.

Just my two pence.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glfbob
    Virginia has adopted the IPC, not in its entirety, of course, but most of it, which means you can likely use either a 'foot vent' (see Tom's photo) or an approved AAV (Air Admittance Valve).
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Massachusetts is using the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, UNIFORM STATE PLUMBING CODE, 1993 version. I did not know there was a difference between the UPC and the USPC.

Check out the two attachments... one regards the matter of distance trap to vent... the other regards the island venting you also questioned me on a couple months back.

[B]I can see why I have been driving you nuts!! Really... must have been driving you crazy growler!

Cleared a lot up for me, too... I kept wondering why you were asking about my info. I was quoting right out of my book... the "UNIFORM state PLUMBING CODE! I was thinking you were nuts! Turns out I was not reading entire title of code book. My God! So many different codes... drive me nuts!

I knew there were different codes... never worried about them until I came online here. Thanks for pointing this out... I really do appreciate it.

Mark

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf traptovent2.pdf (99.2 KB, 1164 views)
  2. File Type: pdf mass island vent2.pdf (27.7 KB, 799 views)

Apr 23, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atvingnc
    Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? if the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a seperate vent / drain ?
    Thanks for the pict! I think that helps somewhat. I am building a wet bar in the basement and the sink is about 5' from the nearest wall and about 12 ' from the nearest drain that is lower than where I'm putting the sink. I think from your picture I need to run the vent back into the bar above the drain line and connect it into the drain close to the p-trap. Right?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2008, 06:31 AM
    I think, rather then a loop vent, you should consider a AAV,(Air Admittance Valve) ,(see image) such as a Studor Vent, (see image). That way your vent worries would be over. If you've pulled a permit on this job you'll have to get permission to use a AAV. If not, don't sweat it. Good luck, Tom
    normva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
    For island of bar or where roof penetration is not possible, use a Studor vent.

http://www.ipscorp.com/studor/minivent

Norm
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Hi normva and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 4 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I think we have a leak in the main stack,there is water at the bottom of it and it smells like toilet water. Can this be fixed or do I have to have a new one installed, and is it expensive

NO vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old house. After years of listening to the bubbling gurgling toilet and banging pipes when the toilet is flushed, we looked and found NO vent stack. (We have several other code violations as well) IS there any way we can remedy this without ripping up floors and walls or do we...

No vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased an old house and the toilet drains slow and bubbles. I cannot locate any plumbing venting at all. The plumbing is all located within 4 ft of the main drain going out through the basement wall, with the kitchen sink, bath sink, tub all connecting to the toilet line then out...

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vertical distance to trap [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a basement shower. When the house was built 2 years ago, it was pre-roughed, with a plastic cover over the hole where the drain will be. I was surprised after opening up and removing some dirt that the 2" horizontal drain line is so deep - it is 12-1/4 inches from the top of the...

View more questions Search