Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mphalon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
    401k Loan Balance - Leaving Current Job - tax effect
    If I currently have a 401k loan for $9000 but am terminating employment and rolling over to a new company, what are my approximate tax implications? My current 401k balance $136k, salary is 70k (married, single income household). 10% penalty for early withdrawal to payoff balance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
    If it is a rollover (and you meet the requirements), then there is no penalty or tax implication.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 07:06 PM
    You can move it to another qualified tax plan without any penality or tax what so ever. Just make sure they do the check to the new plan to make it easier.

Now for the loan part, (almost missed that) the 9000 could be considered withdrawn, if you close or roll over the plan before it is paid back.
    So you would owe 10 percent of the balance of the loan as a penalty and then around 25 percent ( maybe slightly more) in taxes.

I would talk to the administrator of the plan and see if you can continue the plan and pay off the loan before you roll it over.
    mphalon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    you can move it to another qualified tax plan without any penality or tax what so ever. Just make sure they do the check to the new plan to make it easier.

now for the loan part, (almost missed that) the 9000 could be considered withdrawn, if you close or roll over the plan before it is paid back.
    So you would owe 10 percent of the balance of the loan as a penalty and then around 25 percent ( maybe slightly more) in taxes.

I would talk to the administrator of the plan and see if you can continue the plan and pay off the loan before you roll it over.

So, does this mean that the total withdrawal from my 401k balance would be loan balance plus penalty and taxes if the company does not allow me to leave the 401k active and payoff the loan? Approx $12k?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 07:42 PM
    The rest of the 401 can be rolled over into another qualified plan, But I do not believe you can move the loan to another plan as a loan.
    ** Now I am out of date on 401 laws and personally while I am licensed to do them, my license on them was years ago and I have not stayed current. But there are many possible qualified plans. So as long as you do not take and keep any money from the plan, just merely roll it all over, the money actually in the plan, just moves over tax and penalty free as long as you do a roll over, ( that means you don't take it out in a check, you get it moved from one plan right to the other plan direct..

The loan is the only issue I see. Since a loan is consdered a withdraw if you close the plan or if you do not pay it back.
    Now here is one maybe. Since you would have to pay the taxes and the 10 percent penalty, could you actually borrow the money ( even at 6 or 8 percent interest would still be less than just the penalty) and pay it back prior to rolling it over.

Now this is just my thinking, I would discuss this with your own personal advisor before doing anything.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 06:13 AM
    I STRONGLY suggest that you pay off the loan before you leave your current job. If you do not, then you will indeed owe both ordinary income tax and 10% early withdrawal penalty on the $9K. If you don't have the cash handy, I would suggest taking a home equity loan to pay the 401(k) back.

As for rolling the plan over - you may have the option to roll the old plan into the 401(k) at your new company - check with the plan administrator at the new company to see. Alternatively, you can roll the amount into a roll-over IRA.
    nic12sa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 05:46 AM
    What if I am leaving my company and I have a loan balance? Will my company withdraw the loan amount from my last paycheck? I am not transferring to another 401k.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 05:55 AM
    The company will not withdraw the outstanding amount from your last paycheck. What will happen is once you leave the company the loan goes into default (since you will no longer be paying it off using deductions from your paycheck) and if you do not pay it off within 60 days of your departure the 401(k) administrator will reclassify the outstanding amount from a loan to a withdrawal. This amount then becomes taxable as ordinary income plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty (if you are under age 59-1/2). In January you will receive a 1099-R documenting the amount of the withdrawal to include on your 2012 tax return.
    ksmoaks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 09:12 AM
    After the default of the loan and 1099-R is generated, can the balance of 401 be rolled over into new employers 401k plan?
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmoaks View Post
    After the default of the loan and 1099-R is generated, can the balance of 401 be rolled over into new employers 401k plan?
    Yes, assuming that your new employer's plan allows rollovers into it from other "qualified" plans. Not all do. Another alternative is to roll the balance into an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Effect of current ratio [ 2 Answers ]

Assume you work with the CFO of Fashions First, Inc. She reminds you that the fiscal year-end is only two weeks away and that she is looking to you to ensure the company stays in compliance with its loan covenant to maintain a current ratio of 1.25 or higher. A review of the general ledger...

401K Loan Default after leaving the state it was dispersed in [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my situation, left a job in MI in Oct 05 and moved out of state. I had a small loan out of my 401K from my previous job that defaulted in Jan 06. I know I need to pay the taxes and penalties on it but my question is which state do I need to pay the taxes to? I lived in NC for all of 2006,...

View more questions Search