Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StevenDeRoche Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 01:43 PM
    How do you remove a 1996 Toyota Avalon ignition switch.
    I am having difficulty with the ignition switch on a 1996 Toyota Avalon. The one and only key won't turn in the switch. My next step is to remove the ignition switch and rekey it or replace it along with a new set of keys. Where do you start if you are a do-it-yourselfer.

>Moved from Forum Help<
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 06:24 PM
    If you can at least get the key to turn to accessory position, then the cylinder removal is not bad. Just remove the lower dash panel to expose the ignition sw, and have the key in acc. There's a 1/8" hole at the bottom of the cylinder housing that you push in while the key is in accessory. Then just pull out key and cylinder.

You could try and have a key cut by code at the Toyota dealer and it may work out that way.
    If it won't move out of lock position with new key, then you're stuck and it's dealer time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Location of fuel filter 1996 toyota celica [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where the fuel filter on a 1996 Toyota Celica is located? Thanks, Halfabe:confused:

1996 Toyota avalon ignition [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the ignition won't turn past the start position, any ideas?

Replacing the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone out there tell me how to replace the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it in to the dealer. I am fairly handy but need to know if I have to remove the door panel. It is the drivers door handle. I would appreciate any help....

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

View more questions Search