Sore breasts/pregnancy?

Asked Nov 21, 2006, 05:36 AM 18 Answers
    I have been having extremely sore breasts and swollen nipples for about a week now. I usually get tender breasts about 5 days before my period but never this early or this severe. Also, my friend told me to pull gentley on the nipple and look for fluid, when I did, a little bit of clear fluid came out! This has never happened before, but I've never really looked for it or pulled on them before. My last period was Nov 1 and my next one is due Nov 28th. My cycle is normal, I'm not on birth control and my husband and I have been trying for a baby this month. I took a highly sensative pregnancy test today but it was negative. It is too early? The test says that it can detect 20 units of the hormone excreted when pregnant. The way I've been feeling for the last week is usually how I feel 5 days before my period. Why am I having these feelings so early before my period? Could I be pregnant and have physical symptoms before a positive pregnancy test? Any help would be great!

Last edited by frozenfeet; Nov 21, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
    DrWood's Avatar
    DrWood Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

#2

Nov 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Frozenfeet,

It is certainly possible that your are pregnant. Breast tenderness is a well recognized symptom of pregnancy as well as nausea and vomiting and urinary frequency, as well as the signs as venous distention in the breasts, gradual darkening of the nipples and areolae, bluish discolouration of the vagina and cervix and increase milky discharge.

Ovulation occurs 14 days before your next period, in a 28 day cycle that is also 14 days after your last period. According to your dates that means you ovulated on the 14th meaning if you are pregnant it is about 7 days post conception. Most retail pregnancy tests are sensitive to five days after conception so the test should be valid.

It is possible that the test gave you a false negative, so try again if you are unsure. It is also possible that you are not pregnant and your symptoms are explained by something else.

Nipple discharge 7 days after conception is not a symptom of pregnancy. You say that this has never happened before but then again have you ever pulled on your nipple to try and make it happen before? If you are concerned about your breast symptoms you must see your Dr.

Dr Wood.
    frozenfeet's Avatar
    frozenfeet Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

#3

Nov 23, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the info Dr. Wood. I'm not too concerned about the discharge, I'm just going to be patient and take another test on Sunday or Monday. My period isn't due until the 28th. I do have tests from earlypregnancytest.com and I have taken one today which came back negative. I've read about mixed feelings and gotten mixed review of this test strips so I might go and get a test at the local pharmacy. The sympotms that I have been feeling have stayed the same over the last week, I'll be anxious to find out what is going on.
    brookie18's Avatar
    brookie18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#4

May 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
    It's not really an answer but more like a question... I have like all the symptoms and everything sore nipples morning sickness without throwing up... my period came early... and I am very very very regular... I have never been early before in my life... I had light bleeding for 3 1/2 days... it happened a week before my actual period was due... my last period was April 12 and my cycle is 28 days... I've had constipation and gas... ive been really tired and hungry lately... I will be super hungry one minute and not want to eat the next... im having lower back pains as well... my nipples are darker but not the areloas... my pants are etting sightly tighter as well... I've taken three pregnany tests but hey have all came out negative... I have calculated and I am 5 weeks if I am pregnant... if that too soon to take a test?? I ned tokno if I am because I want to join th air force soon

Thank you
    loveneverfails00's Avatar
    loveneverfails00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

#5

May 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brookie18 View Post
    it's not really an answer but more like a question...i have like all the symptoms and everything sore nipples morning sickness without throwing up...my period came early...and i am very very very regular...i have never been early before in my life...i had light bleeding for 3 1/2 days....it happened a week before my actual period was due....my last period was april 12 and my cycle is 28 days....i've had constipation and gas...ive been rly tired and hungry lately....i wil b super hungry one minute and not want to eat the next.....im having lower back pains as well....my nipples are darker but not the areloas...my pants are etting sightly tighter as well....i've taken three pregnany tests but hey have all came out negative....i have calculated and i am 5 weeks if i am pregnant....if that too soon to take a test??? i ned tokno if i am because i wanna join th air force soon

thank you
    Go to your doctor & take a blood test.
    poppyandsammie's Avatar
    poppyandsammie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#6

Jun 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
    I came on my period last month on the 27th I was only on for about 3 days I have been having unprotected sex for 3 weeks now and I did a pregnancy test 11 days before my period was due but it was negative could I be pregnant
    poppyandsammie's Avatar
    poppyandsammie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#7

Jun 18, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppyandsammie View Post
    i came on my period last month on the 27th i was only on for about 3 days i have been having unprotected sex for 3 weeks now and i did a pregnancy test 11 days before my period was due but it was negative could i be pregnant
    please answer my question
    mrsgemini's Avatar
    mrsgemini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#8

Dec 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
    My breast hurt me real bad and I have nipple discharge and I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative and I am on birth contro so my hormones are very low... could I be pregnant?
    fancypants21's Avatar
    fancypants21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#9

Aug 30, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Hey I'm having the same problem. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex the beginning of Aug . && I gotten my period on the 14th the first day of my period was heavy but the other days it was light. A couple of days ago my nipples started to hurt/sore && my best friend told me to take a pregnancy test so I did and it came back negative so I would like to know should I be concern about this issue or not.
    cfrbuofs's Avatar
    cfrbuofs Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

#10

Jan 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Hi

Why are my breasts not sore? [ 7 Answers ]

I am 8 weeks pregnant and everyone keeps telling me my breasts should be sore or grown bigger there has been no change in them can anyone help explain why?

Sore hip [ 8 Answers ]

Any folk remedies, home cures for a sore hip? It is almost certainly arthritic. I walk a lot and do Tai Chi, but it has definitely gotten sorer over last few weeks. Any ideas/diet suggestions on how to minimize discomfort/stop deterioration/heal? Thanks.

Sore nipples [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone - I've been having this problem for the past few years. The thing is that every time I wear a cotton shirt or just every shirt I start to get soar nipples. This morning I put on a shirt after my shower. It was approx. 6 hours ago. Now my nipples hurt like hell every time...

Sore breasts [ 5 Answers ]

:( Hi I'm 18 and my breasts have been really sore and tender for over a week now. I thought I might be pregnant but I have had three negative tests, but if I am pregnant I would only be 6 weeks so it might be too early to tell (my doctor said on the phone) My period isn't due - if it comes - for...

No Sore Breasts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This may sound like a silly question, but has anyone ever been pregnant and didn't have sore or swollen breasts? How soon does this normally happen?