Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    campgalvin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Puppy is afraid to go down stairs
    I just got a new puppy who is having no problem going up the stairs, but refuses to even attempt to descend them. I tried encouraging him with praise and food. :D Granted he is only 8 weeks old and the stairs are a little steep and are uncarpeted. Do you think I need to carpet the stairs to make it easier for him? He is a german sheperd and will be getting to big to carry down the stairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated :) :)
    tnborden Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2005, 05:35 PM
    Puppy is afraid to go down stairs
    I believe your new puppy is just a little fearful. Given time, he will manage to go it alone. It might be helpful also to show him how to go down the stairs. It might take a few lessons though. Just guide him down by holding onto him until he feels safe to do it by himself. Good luck. Shepherds are great pets. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Don't push him. Try going down the stairs on your hands and knees. Many 8 week olds will not even go up stairs. Just give him time. Some Shepherds do get huge very young. My daughter brought home an 8 week old in March that was 20 pounds. In April, he was almost as big as our 6 month old Lab/Golden cross. The Shepherd we had 3 years ago was on the small side for Shepherds. I don't remember how soon she started doing steps. Usually we restrict our puppies to the downstairs until they are well housebroken.

He should quickly become closely bonded to you. Just going down the steps leaving him at the top, may be a bigger motivation than food. Most Shepherds are not highly food motivated, well, at least not compared to typical Labs. Before he gets big enough to be too big to pick up, he should be ready to go down stairs. The first time he starts down the steps, be sure to praise him and pet him when he makes it all the way down. Make a great fuss about what a good dog he is.
    kookicat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Hi
    Work from the bottom up e.g. let him sit on the bottom stair and get used to hopping onto and off that, then move up gradually building up the number of steps until he's happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Afraid I can't get pregnant [ 56 Answers ]

I have been trying to get pregnant only 3 months and no luck yet. But for some reason I'm starting to get scared that I can't get pregnant. Is that crazy? How long did it take you to get pregnant with your first child?

Parent alienation- Help! My son says he is afraid of me. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 14 year old son who refuses to spend any time alone with me, he says he is afraid of me even though I have never hurt him. His father has petitioned for sole custody and my son wants him to get that. I am a good mother, imperfect perhaps and human, but how can a child that I carried,...

Afraid I am infertile! [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 19 and I have been with my fiancé for 3yrs and been having unprotected sex for around a year and a half since having a contraceptive rod removed from my arm, But I have never fallen pregnant. This is seriously starting to worry me as at this age I should be at my most fertile. So why isn't I...

Daschund is afraid to use bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

I have a very beautiful Miniature dachshund and he is like my second child. I am insanely protective of him. We got him when he was 8 weeks old from a breeder and he was cute as cute could be. He is about 18 weeks old now and he thinks he owns everything he touches, including us!:D He's never been...

Afraid I missed o time [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I don't keep up with my temp like I should but I haven't had any cervical fluid until yesterday June 6th and it was wet. Today I don't have much but kind of creamy if anything and that may be wishful thinking. My husband gets home today from being out of town and I pray I haven't missed my...

View more questions Search