Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3doghome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Alternative to surgery for swallowing a foreign object?
    8 year old dog swallowed a foreign object. X-ray shows 2 pieces of metal in small intestine. He hasn't vomited since changed his diet to high fiber (ground puppy food with canned pumpkin) and cimetidine from the vet. Is there an alternative to the possible $3,000 vet bill for surgery to remove the object(s)?
    Dogsareme Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
    That is something you will have to talk to your vet about. Because the object he swallowed is metal there is a good chance he can not pass it safely. Please talk to your vet, this could be something serious for your dog. Ask him if he offers payment plans to help better accommodate you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Some vets have tools to extract miscellaneous objects without surgery. Despite having raised 16 lab puppies, I haven't needed such service for any of them. I did carefully follow a presentation on it at the dog guide school a couple of years ago. With thousands of Labs and Goldens in their care, such procedures are routine. I forget the name of the thing they use. No matter, any vet knows the name of everything they have available. Since you already are working with a vet, you may have been given the best option. You might check with a larger practice in the area. They may have invested in the latest equipment. It still won't be cheap. Most vets are conservative and wouldn't operate if they had a good alternative. You must do something.

The dog guide school has 2 full time veterinarians, some techs, and an extremely well equipped clinic. They will provide any service any of their puppies or working dogs need, for free. The only catch is that you have to take the dog there in regular hours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Medication for swallowing [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has difficulty swallowing. She can't remember what it is called or the name of the treatment she was given before. She can swallow liquids and puréed food fine but when it comes to proper food, she can eat little and often but if she eats more than a few tablespoons in one hit it...

Alternative to surgery for a slipped disc in my Daschund? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old rescue pup beagle / daschund mix. Through regular daily activities she managed to get a slipped disc in her spine. Surgery was not an option at the time because I had no job & couldn't afford it. A month of rest & crate "LockDown" she seems to be OK until she reinjured her...

Swallowing pills [ 17 Answers ]

I've always had a lot of trouble swallowing pills.. even when I take them with lots of water, I gag really badly and often almost throw up. My usual solution has been to avoid pills altogether, but now that I'm pregnant I need to take vitamins. So, any suggestions to make the pill swallowing...

Automation object [ 1 Answers ]

I wonder if you could help me? I started recentley working in a company. I am at the moment working on some listings of data bases in Access 2000. I was trying to make e customers phone list with the form similar to the one at Northwind Example. Everything went well with the table, form...

View more questions Search