Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clowrey Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Positive results and all of the signs
    Okay you may remember me posting about maybe being pregnant a last week. So I decided to take a test because I was 3 or 4 days late on my period. I grabbed a test from rite aid (it was their brand). I decided to use a container and dip the stick in there and on the box it says read results in 2 minutes. Well about 30 seconds after I dipped my urine it came up positive. So I waited till the 2 minutes and it was still positive. I was so surprised that I could be pregnant. I decided to do a little researching on the positive results of pregnancy tests. I found out if I have a bladder infection or UTI it cuold detect that I'm pregnant. I don't really think that I tested positive because of this. It could happen though. Then why did I miss my period and have all of the signs and symptoms... except for morning sickness. I made an oppointment with an OB and I get to find out on march 5th. I have a good feeling about this but I don't want to get my hopes up and then results come back negative from the doctor. Me and my boyfriend are so excited about it. Does anyone think that it might just be a different reason causeing all of my signs and missed period and positive results?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 06:43 AM
    The tests measure HCG hormone in your urine. Whenever your not pregnant. There is none present. If there is HCG the pregnancy test will pick it up and normally the only reason for HCG being picked up is because you are pregnant. Of course, the blood test is a tell all. So good luck. Why wait until March 5th. Can you not get a blood test now? Blood test only takes a few days to a week for the results. It is best to start taking prenatels if you are not already doing so.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Usually if you get a possitive result on a pregnancy test, it is pretty rare for it to be a false possitive. False negatives are much more common then false possitives. You can always take another hpt while you wait, BUT I would suggest a blood test. They are more accurate then hpts, and not too much more expensive. When I got one done I had the results within a few hours. It just depends on where you get it done, how busy they are, if they have to send out for results, etc.good luck! Sounds to me like congratulations are in order! But I will wait until you get your confirmations. ;0)

Feb 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    The tests measure HCG hormone in your urine. Whenever your not pregnant. There is none present. If there is HCG the pregnancy test will pick it up and normally the only reason for HCG being picked up is because you are pregnant. Of course, the blood test is a tell all. So good luck. Why wait until March 5th. Can you not get a blood test now? Blood test only takes a few days to a week for the results. It is best to start taking prenatels if you are not already doing so.
    Oh the OB wants me to be at least 7 weeks pregnant so they can do an exam to determin the pregnancy.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 11:08 AM
    That does not make any sense to me. Although that is what they do. There should be no reason why you can not get a blood test to first confirm it.

Feb 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I made an oppointment yesterday to confirm my pregnancy. The OBGYN told me that between 6-8 weeks is best to do an exam to find out how large the fetus is and to see how far a long I really am. They want me to come in and they probably will do the blood test. The problem with doing a blood test right now is my doctor is at a family practice and they don't do prenatal care there. I had to find a place that would take a new patient and my insurance.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
    I don't know how it is where you live, but in Utah when I got mine done, you could take a non-doctor ordered blood test. You just went to the hospital and had them draw your blood. However, it is just the regular blood test, and not the quantative blood test.(regular blood test just gives a neg/pos reply, where as a quantative gives the actual number/level of hcg in your blood system. Either one is more accurate then hpts, BUT the quantative is the best, and you can't usually get those unless doctor ordered.) It could be that they want to give you a quantative test after they do the exam, just to match the two dates. (from the exam, and from the levels)

Feb 14, 2007, 03:08 PM
    I know what your talking about. They do tblood tests here too. They are examining me to see how far along I am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Try to be positive [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently looking for a new job. I do like my job, but it is extremely quiet. I need more challenges and with the company not making any money, my boss could decide to close. I know for sure I will not get a wage rise with there being no work, so I am not going to progress on to anything...

Is it a positive or a negative? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I took a test today and the results said negative so I put it or the counter and walked away for a couple of hours when I came back it had a very light blue plus so does this mean a negative or a positive? I'm so confussed:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Signs of Miscarriage? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a miscarriage on October 3rd, 2005... Since February, my fiancé and I have been trying again. Every month since then we have had no results in getting pregnant. This week I was supposed to get my period (3 days late) however, have had some cramping and bleeding, not to the extent of my...

Positive Affirmations [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone please help me find a positive affirmation that I can go by? About a month and a half ago, I had the worst heartbreak of my life. I still can't seem let go of the hurt and anger I am feeling. I need an affirmation I can stay focused on. Any help will be appreciated!

Positive affirmations [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone please help me find a positive affirmation that I can go by? About a month and a half ago, I had the worst heartbreak of my life. I still can't seem let go of the hurt and anger I am feeling. I need an affirmation I can stay focused on. Any help will be appreciated!

View more questions Search