Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oooeggooo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 07:01 PM
    What happens in gyno exam?
    I absolutely hate the idea of these intimate exams I feel like I'm going to be stripped of all my dignity and that men get away with everything :mad: my sister had a gyno exam not so long ago and she told me I should have had one by now (im 17). What age do you need to be to get one? She told me what they do in the exam and quite frankly I'm teriffied :eek: exactly what do they do? Does it hurt? And the speculum they use I've got a horrible feeling that it might catch the folds of skin inside the vagina when they insert it or that it could snap shut while inside and nip your skin. My sister told me this happened to her when she had an examination after one of her pregnancies and that she was almost screaming with pain, is it common and does it damage you in anyway? And when the doctor examines you using his/her fingers does it hurt when they feel your ovaries? Also my breasts are always tender to touch and swollen and painful before I'm due on my period so will the breast examination hurt? I know I've asked a lot of questions about this but as I have said I'm absolutely terrified. Please get back to me :o
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 07:18 PM
    I am so glad you asked your questions. It is much better to ask than to go in unknowing.

Let's see...

When should you start exams? Typically around age 16 or you become sexually active, whichever comes first.

What happened to your sister is extremely rare. No, the speculum will not catch on the folds of the vagina, it is a little cold sometimes, but many doctors have warmers to keep them at body temp, so you barely feel it.

It is uncomfortable when the doctor uses his fingers, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

The breast exam does not hurt at all. Make sure you make an appointment before you are due your period or right after.

There is no reason to be terrified of the exam. What you should be terrified is what could happen to you should you not get an exam.

Some women get cervical or other cancers, without the exam you would not know you have it and could not be cured.

One thing, you can make an appointment with a female doctor, she has the same parts you do, so she knows how to do it.

Any more questions? I would love to help you.
    oooeggooo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 07:27 PM
    thanks for the advice =D I do have one more question.. does the doctor insert his/her finger into your anus as well, if yes why?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 07:30 PM
    No s/he doesn't. That is only for maybe a colon exam or for an ulcer. Typically this is done to a man for a prostate exam.

You will be fine. We all are. I know it is rather frightening the first time, but if you can get a woman doctor you may feel more comfortable.
    scheermed08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 03:01 AM
    “Visiting the Doctor” on TeenHealthrl. you can find various questions and answers about GYN visits, including “First Gyno Visit” and “Sexually Active and Wondering About a Gyn.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which exam should I start with? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am new in this forum and have just joined yr group. I have been planning to take some IT CERTIFICATION, this will add an extra feather in my cap.I have decided to take MCDBA. I have already some hand in knowledge in SQL. Will any one suggest me which exam should I start with.

Just got back from an exam [ 19 Answers ]

I just got back from getting an exam well, I don't know anymore then I did before, but now I have a sore cervix to boot. She said I have a very anterioral tilted uterus and it took her forever to get it, and then she said she had no idea why I didn't start. She then checked my uterus and said that...

Pelvic exam [ 6 Answers ]

Bah, this sounds like a stupid concern, but I don't know, it bugs the hell out of me. My girlfriend is (most likely) about to go on birth control, which means she's going to be having her first pelvic exam. And from what little I know of it, it's a... stretch... in most cases, so I guess my worry...

Exam question [ 1 Answers ]

Sunshades Awnings had the following purchases and sales during the fourth quarter of 2005. Beginning inventory as of 9/30/05 was $0 on hand. Purchase DatePurchase Qty Unit/Cost Sale DateSale Qty Price/Unit 10/10/05 100 $2.00 10/2/05 450 ...

Gyno [ 2 Answers ]

I am in my 20's and I have just graduated from college and such and I have recently lost my health insurance through my parents... I also just started having sex, what should I do? I have never been to a Gyno before, and I haven't had a physical in a long time...

View more questions Search