Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss_User Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
    What if you defaulted on Metformin
    I'm pretty nervous about asking this, because I'm afraid of the answers I'll get. But I'm pretty desperate, as is my friend, who is 21 years old.

She has been diagnosed a Type 2 Diabetic last August. She had to start taking metformin. She has told us that, although she missed a dose sometimes, she's been keeping up with it.

Well, a couple of days ago she came up to me and told her that she haven't been taken it since January! She has a bad habit of doing this with a lot of medications that she takes, even though she knew that she must not default on metformin.

Well, what I want to know is, is she able to take it again without having life-threatening side effects (stroke, etc), or will she have to start taking insulin?

Thanks for your time. [:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:48 AM

She needs to get reevaluated by her doctor. That means new blood work! She has to start to take he problem seriously if not it can lead to blindness, kidney, heart problems as well as death!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 10:41 AM

I am not sure of the effects of metformin,I am sure of the effects of not keeping up with diabetes,blindness,wounds not healing,etc.
    I was diagnosed with it while taking other medications(direct result of the other med),I was on insulin and metformin,since I stopped taking the first medication which brought on the diabetes,I have not needed to continue with the insulin or metformin,but I will still continue to periodically,take my blood sugar levels,so far so good.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 11:15 AM

I'm not even sure what his question means. All I can advise is Metformin should be gently increased to avoid gastrointestinal side effects.

If she was prescribed Metformin she probably has a glucose meter.
    She needs to test in the morning (fasting) (~80 mg/dl) and at least needs to test for a while 2 hours after a meal (~150 mg/dl) to evaluate the control.

Doc should have specific recommendations. Those numbers are for very tight control.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 08:38 AM

My husband died from complications of diabetes. Someone needs to talk to your friend. She may feel fine; she may look fine; no one knows what type of internal damage is occurring.
    hantrust Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 08:41 PM

Well I have been diagnosed the same Type II with average blood sugar level of 180 and above about 5 years ago. I have stopped taking metformin for about 3 straight years except a few months in between. I do not have much symptoms or side effects of any however I know that my body isn't healthy as it used to be. Some of progress I feel is that my visions has been decreased, my legs are easily tired, constant thirst & dried lips, easily get tired, attracted to sugar & chocolates & ice creams at all times. At age of 40's I can feel that I won't be healthy as others especially I have been under extreme stress for years due to the nature of my work & terrible market conditions along with my never-ever exercise lifestyle... has been a great reason to be not as motivated as I used to. One positive thing I am lucky with is that I was born so healthy and I have been very optimistic and positive all my life.. but even with that personality these days I really get challenged to not to be any more.. anyway, my advice to you and your friend is that make another doctor's visit and check up with all and start over to be prompt on medication and eat right and exercise regularly thinking positive & happy..

Just a little thought that I do not think I could follow my advice..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PCOS, Metformin & Trying to conceive. [ 1 Answers ]

Soo... I found a new doctor set up an appointment and asked him about PCOS... I told him that I was Trying to conceive and what all was going on... I asked to have my hormone levels checked, he told me that based on my history there was no need in running any test he knew that I had PCOS. He...

Vitex and Metformin [ 1 Answers ]

I was just rx'd Metformin... I haven't filled it yet but will soon... I have been taking Vitex for only about a week.. Can I take them both.. Will they help each other?

Metformin and pcos [ 4 Answers ]

Its been awhile since I've been on, Never the less I have more questions, I have read up on women taking metformin for pcos, but now its my turn, and I don't really know what to expect... I had a large ovarian cyst rupture and got to spend the day in the hospital. Now my doctors have decided to...

Seller defaulted [ 2 Answers ]

I have just looked at my contract and realized that the seller of out contract for deed has defaulted by charging me interest on my "on-time" payments, when in our contract, it states that NO INTETREST will be taken out for "on-time" payments, and that the only time Interest will be taken out is...

View more questions Search