Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
    13 year old Yellow Lab won't eat or drink
    I have a 13 year old Yellow Lab that recently had surgery to remove his spleen which had grown a mass on it. It did not appear to be cancer. His recovery seemed to go well the first few days but he slowly stopped eating. At first we thought it was that he wouldn't eat his dry food because the vet was feeding him wet food, so we caved, and tried wet food but now he won't eat that either. He also stopped drinking and began to have very loose bloody stools. We took him back to the Vet and he is now on an IV with antibiotics. We were hoping he was perhaps having a bad reaction to the medicine he was on but he has been off all meds for 1 week and still no appetite after 24 hours of IV. The Vet wants to do more x-rays and blood work that it seems like we just did a week ago. I don't know where to go from here. I don't necessarily feel like I'm being milked, but aren't there other things to try before another $500 in tests? Maybe this is more of a rant that a question but I am at a loss.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2006, 04:43 PM
    I am very sorry to read your post. I don't have enough medical experience to say much about what you should do. We have a couple of vet techs that answer occasionally, but haven't seen them lately.

I have a 12 year old yellow Lab still doing well, and am friends with the people that still have her mother, past 14, old and slow, but still enjoying life. If you get him by this crisis, he may have a few good yeas yet. Tough decision. I don't know where to send you for more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Dog won't drink when alone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog will not drink water when he is home alone. Recently this has been causing issues, I believe, with heat/dehydration. He has twice collapsed after I get home from work. I have have started giving him a bowl of gatorade before leaving for work so that he has SOME fluids in his system. The...

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a stray dog in the street. He didn't have a collar. My mom and I walked him over to the nearby vet and she came out and looked him over. She said he was about 6 years old and her and I both agreed he seems to look like a shepherd collie mix. He's just a sweet heart, but the...

Why we drink juice? [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me: 1)Why we drink fruit juice?Why is it good for us? 2)Why we should drink juice in the morning.( for example not in the night) Please answer me completely and/or tell me where (On Internet) I can find more information. Regards

Why we drink juice? [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me: 1)Why we drink fruit juice?Why is it good for us? 2)Why we should drink juice in the morning.( for example not in the night) Please answer me completely and/or tell me where (On Internet) I can find more information. Regards

View more questions Search