Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thewordsyouborrow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Sore breasts
    :( Hi

I'm 18 and my breasts have been really sore and tender for over a week now. I thought I might be pregnant but I have had three negative tests, but if I am pregnant I would only be 6 weeks so it might be too early to tell (my doctor said on the phone) My period isn't due - if it comes - for another week, so I don't think it is PMS. I have a lot of weird stomach feelings and twitches, not really pain though. I'm going to the doctor on Thursday - anyone else have pain like this? No lumps, just tender pain when I even walk too quickly. Help!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
    I've had that myself a lot, but it's almost always connected to my menstrual cycle. I get breast tenderness and pain for about a week before my period. I also had it quite bad (worse than my period) about 2 years back, and when I went to the doctor he said that I had a cyst, likely because I was drinking too many caffeinated beverages. I cut down on my caffeine, and the pain went away. The good news is, you don't have any lumps, and cancer of the breast is painless, apparently. I'm glad you're seeing your physician. Good luck!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
    I agree with orange. Thewordsyouborrow, it is common to have sore breasts around the beginning of a girl's period, or menstruation. A week or so before her period starts, the body begins producing lots of the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. These hormones can cause feelings that together are called premenstrual syndrome, or PMS. Some girls have painful cramps in their stomachs, headaches, mood swings, or cravings for certain foods right before their periods begin. During this time the body may retain water, which can make a girl feel puffy and bloated. I think it's a good idea to see your doctor for a check up.
    thewordsyouborrow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Thank you guys :) I am seeing the doctor on Thursday. It's quite possible that I am pregnant, as my last regular period was December 29th with only some light spotting for 2 days about 6 days before my period was due in Jan. I have never had trouble with PMS before, usually I only have a slight backache the day I do start. I will find out soon I guess!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Good luck at the doctor's, and if you are pregnant, good luck with that as well! I am 19 weeks pregnant myself. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
    I too agree with Orange as far as the breast tenderness being associated with cycles and caffine. However, if there are any lumps in the breast they need to be checked. Breast cancer is NOT painless. As a breast cancer survivor of 10 years I was told the same thing. A doc told me not to worry because I was #1 too young (32) and #2 had no family history, and #3 I felt pain and cancer is painless. Well guess what, he was wrong. If there is a lump and it is painful have it checked out. Painful cancer can occur if the pain is located in the milk ducts. Check to make sure you are not leaking any clear or yellowish fluid from your nipples (colostrum). If not everything should be okay, if so, see a doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore hip [ 8 Answers ]

Any folk remedies, home cures for a sore hip? It is almost certainly arthritic. I walk a lot and do Tai Chi, but it has definitely gotten sorer over last few weeks. Any ideas/diet suggestions on how to minimize discomfort/stop deterioration/heal? Thanks.

Breasts [ 2 Answers ]

Well I have a 2 year old baby girl and I still have milk in both of my breasts. The milk is thick and smell funny, it that normal? Thank you adriana

What is a canker sore? [ 4 Answers ]

What is a canker sore

No Sore Breasts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This may sound like a silly question, but has anyone ever been pregnant and didn't have sore or swollen breasts? How soon does this normally happen?

View more questions Search