Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Apr 16, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Metformin and pcos
    Its been awhile since I've been on,
    Never the less I have more questions, I have read up on women taking metformin for pcos, but now its my turn, and I don't really know what to expect... I had a large ovarian cyst rupture and got to spend the day in the hospital. Now my doctors have decided to put me on the metformin to try to shrink the other multiple cysts I have... so I was wondering what I should expect being on the medicine, and how well it has worked for you?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
    I don't have any practical advice but did find a website about your topic treated with metformin the anti diabetic drug

PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) & Ovarian Cysts: Natural Health Solutions
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Metformin is typically a diabetes medication. It's very hard on the intestinal system, at least initially. Ask about the possibility of starting really slow. Like 1/4 of a tablet and then increase by 1/4 of a tablet until your body adjusts to the medication.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 02:32 AM
    I have take metformin for the last three years, l-l/2 per day and haven't found it hard on my system in any way. And this wasn't one of the side effects provided in information received from my pharmacist.

Metformin has properties that just happens to assist in other medical issues other then being and excellent one for controlling type 2 diabetes.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 02:44 AM
    I've been on 1000 mg/day for maybe 12 years and it was very difficult getting on the drug, but I have no problems with it. I had to build up very slowly. It's also recommended to take with food, which I don't. 1 at lunch and one at bedtime(no food). It's also a drug that must be discontinued a few days before some contrast medical procedures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pcos [ 6 Answers ]

I had a blood test for poly cystic ovary syndrome a couple of years ago and it came back negative. Now I've got a really bad and embarrassing problem with hair growing on my chin and stuff and I'm only 19 is it possible that I could have developed pcos since the last time I was tested?

I have pcos [ 2 Answers ]

I Have PCOS Can I still get pregnant?and if I can't what is the cheapist fertility drug and can my obgyn give me a prescription for firtility drugs?

PCOS, because, and Pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so I guess I'll start with the fact that I have been to the doctor about my "No Periods" issue, as stated in another question I have asked, "No periods, Neg Tests." The doctor "thinks" I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). We did multiple tests, Hormone levels, Urine pregnancy tests,...

View more questions Search