Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    datrudon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:00 PM
    When's the baby due?
    How long does it take for her to know if she's pregnant?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
    She has to miss a period.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Like Nauticalstar420 said, in order for pregnancy to be suspected, a missed period is the first substantial clue. She could have had symptoms before, but can't be taken as a sure sign, as symptoms for pregnancy are the same symptoms for an upcoming period, being sick, and many other things. Even after a missed period, it isn't always known for sure as some women don't have enough hcg (pregnancy hormone) built up in their systems to register on a hpt(home pregnancy test) immediately after a missed period, and they have to wait a week, or two, or more before knowing for sure. The earliest you can get a pregnancy result on a hpt is 5 days before the missed period. (again this can be wrong because of the need to build up enough hcg, so not all women get an accurate result with these)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
    The above is all true..,. but to explain it so that you could understand better (seeing as you are male and don't have aperiod, and therefore don't know the time frame involved as well as women do)...

A cycle is typically 28 days long the first 5-7 days are when the woman menstrates. Day 1 of the cycle is the first day of a woman's period. So by days 12-14, typically a woman is ovulating and Most fertile. If, (and I say if because you can get pregnant anytime during your cycle, even during menstration) an egg is fertilized during this time it will take as long as a week to 2 weeks for the egg to implant and start producing Hcg.(typically by the time her next period is due). But the levels have to be high enough to trigger a test for it to show positive. Fertilization and implantation can occur at the very beginning or very end of the cycle, and therefore can change everything. The woman could get a positive test before her missed period, or very long after, depending on the hormones and time of conception. But regardless at this stage, until an ultrasound proves different, When determining the age of the fetus you go by the date of the LMP (Last Menstrual Period) and therefore lets say, if your partners last period was June 1st, then the age of the fetus would be approximately 3 weeks tomorrow, even though fertilization would not have likely occurred on June 1. It is just the way the medical field determines the age of a fetus, since the window for conception is so large... Does that make sense?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can the father on my baby see him if my mom won't let him [ 7 Answers ]

My mom dose not like my boyfriend and I'm having a kid with him can she keep him fron seeing me and our baby? :( :( :(

Due date [ 3 Answers ]

I'm supposed to be induced at 38 weeks and at the beginning I didn't know my date of my last period can doctors still give me an accurate due date by ultrasound

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Lose of 1 baby boy & 2 baby girls [ 4 Answers ]

I have meet a lady on myspace and she has lost 3 kids a little boy and a set of twin girls the boy was about 2 years ago he only lived a couple of hours and the twins one lived 3 days and the other only an hour. What can I do to help her through this time? I just feel so sorry for her. Two years...

View more questions Search