Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiff1449 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Cervical mucus
    My hubby and I have been trying to conceive since June. I have pretty regular cycles (27-30 days) and have been using the CBEF Monitor. I also check my cervical mucus. My LMP was Oct-13-17. My monitor detected peak days on October 24 and 25. However, during my o week, I was irritated down there and thought I had a possible yeast infection. Because of this, I didn't notice much cervical mucus. Luckily I had just ordered pre-seed and we used this all of the days we bd'd. Well today, I am noticing the egg white mucus. According to fertility friend, I am 6dpo. What do you guys think? Do you think I am ovulating later than the monitor detected or could the EWCM be an early sign of pregnancy?? Thanks for your input!:) :) :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with that particular monitor. However, let me say that all monitors only estimate ovulation and are not as precise as a transvaginal ultrasound that can actually visualize what phase you are in during your cycle.

The egg white mucous you speak of, is it thick or thin? If it is thick, you are past the ovulation period. When discharge thins, this is prime ovulation time. The thicker discharge actually tends to prevent the sperm from reaching the egg, which has only 24 hours of viability once released from the ovary. The thin more watery discharge helps with the pH of the vagina and assists the sperm in reaching their goal.

Oct 31, 2007, 02:06 PM
    J9: The monitor is the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor. I have been using it for the last 3 cycles and I have gotten a peak each month around the same day. The cm is thin, but there is not much of it. I am just confused... who would have thought that getting pregnant would be such a task! Thanks for your input.
    Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 02:10 PM
    As I said, I am not familiar with the monitor, but they only predict ovulation and are not foolproof.

If the mucous is thin, then you are most likely ovulating, the amount may vary from month to month, or woman to woman.

How often are you and hubby trying for a baby? It is important to know that you should only be trying every 2nd or 3rd day. Some women try daily, but that reduces sperm count and makes it harder to become pregnant.

Just an aside, this was our lecture in nursing school today.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 02:15 PM
    The best method of conceiving that I have found is to have intercourse every other day(unless your husband has a low sperm count). This way you get all of your days covered and if you happen to ovulate when you think you aren't then the sperm will be there waiting. Doing this also cuts out the stress of monitoring and constantly checking for fertility signs. My husband and I have tried this twice and it has worked both times(first time ended in m/c in June). We had been trying since then and this month we decided to give the tiring, every other day thing a shot again... and it worked :). As for you cervical mucus you are experiencing, it could be either/or... just keep trying until the end of your cycle just in case and like J said... don't fully rely on monitors. Good luck!

Oct 31, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55
    The best method of conceiving that I have found is to have intercourse every other day(unless your husband has a low sperm count). This way you get all of your days covered and if you happen to ovulate when you think you aren't then the sperm will be there waiting. Doing this also cuts out the stress of monitoring and constantly checking for fertility signs. My husband and I have tried this twice and it has worked both times(first time ended in m/c in June). We had been trying since then and this month we decided to give the tiring, every other day thing a shot again...and it worked :). As for you cervical mucus you are experiencing, it could be either/or...just keep trying until the end of your cycle just in case and like J said...don't fully rely on monitors. Good luck!
    Thanks for your response. It looks like we will be doing the deed tonight! I had an opk left over and used it today to see if a surge was detected, but it was negative. So I truly think I ovulated last week. But you never know! Congrats on your pregnancy! :o

Oct 31, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    As I said, I am not familiar with the monitor, but they only predict ovulation and are not foolproof.

If the mucous is thin, then you are most likely ovulating, the amount may vary from month to month, or woman to woman.

How often are you and hubby trying for a baby? It is important to know that you should only be trying every 2nd or 3rd day. Some women try daily, but that reduces sperm count and makes it harder to become pregnant.

Just an aside, this was our lecture in nursing school today.
    Well, we have been trying the every other day thing, with no luck. So this month, we had sex on CD 9,10, 12, 13, 14 and 16. It may be too much, but as far as we know he has no issue with sperm count. I have read conflicting results on the subject. Some say as long as your hubby doesn't have a low sperm count every day is okay, well others say to try every other day. Too late now! Do you have any imput on pre-seed? Thanks again.
    Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Pre-seed? Hmmm, well I don't know TOO much about it, but if the pH of your vagina is right, you really shouldn't need it. Any extra lubrication that is not natural to your body can mess up your pH, and that's not good. If it did work so well, doctors would prescribe it prior to prescribing Clomid or other fertility drugs.

If you have adequate natural lubrication, you should not be using this.

You have only been actively trying for 4 months. It can take the average couple up to a year of actively trying before they conceive. Sometimes the stress involved in trying can actually lessen your chances of getting pregnant. This is HONESTLY why some doctors tell patients to quit trying and take a vacation prior to any IVF treatments.

The studies that we discussed in class today said that there is a higher chance of pregnancy if you have sex every 2nd or 3rd day it lowers the sperm count even in men who have a normal sperm count of 20 million - 200 million per milliliter.

Sperm can live in a woman for 3 - 5 days, so daily is not really necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mucus plug [ 15 Answers ]

I'm slightly concerned that I might be losing bits and pieces of my mucus plug. I had an incedent a couple of weeks ago when I passed something about the size of a dime though I didn't get a really good look at it. About a week ago I wiped and found a bit of what looked like cornstarch when you mix...

Cervical cancer [ 6 Answers ]

What is the most effective alternative treatment for recurrant cervical cancer? Pam

Cervical Cancer [ 12 Answers ]

I have been bleeding for the past year, well after I had my little girl, which she will soon be 2... I just went to the doctor about a month ago, and found out that I had cervical cancer, now I am scheduled to go in and do a coloposcy, I think I spelled it right... Im very very nervous, because...

Continuous mucus [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a mailman for the last 4 years and obviously I am out in all sorts of weather conditions. I could be wrong but since I've been doing the job I've had a continuous sniffly nose with lots of mucus and phlegm and regardless of the season it never goes away. Any idea what's wrong with me...

View more questions Search