Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moms in Slippers Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Connecting to AOL
    Hello,

I have recently install AOL 9.0 Security Edition on my PC (Windows XP). At first, it worked fine and then after a short while, it started knocking me off and every time I try to sign on, it brings me right back to the sign-on screen after completing the 7 steps to signing on. I have checked for firewalls, which is what I was told by tech support, located in India, who was of no help at all after calling them a dozen times. I still cannot sign on. My children both have AOL and they have no problems signing on. I have checked everything humanly possible and still I cannot connect. I've searched for Norton firewall and I don't have anything like that on my computer; I don't have McAfee or anything else that would block my connection. I've gone into the control panel, I've done msconfig and still nothing. I have changed my access numbers and still I am unable to connect. Can someone please help me as the customer reps in India were of no use at all even though they tried to help me. They all assured me that the problem was fixed after walking me through a thousand steps, still nothing.

Please help me!!

Thank
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I think the problem is that it's AOL...

Mar 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    I think the problem is that it's AOL...
    I believe you are so right. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
    First, are you dialing up using a modem? If so, its possible AOL isn't recognizing the modem properly. Second, If you have XP SP2, its got a built in firewall that is turned on by default. Third, do you use the same phone line as your children?

Mar 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First, are you dialing up using a modem? if so, its possible AOL isn't recognizing the modem properly. Second, If you have XP SP2, its got a built in firewall that is turned on by default. Third, do you use the same phone line as your children?

I use a dial up connection and I have XP only. I use the same phone line, but I am home alone all day when the children are in school. What do you suggest I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Uninstall, then do a clean install of AOL and make sure it properly detects your modem. See if that helps.

But frankly, I would recommend getting out of dial up and get a broadband connection.

Mar 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Uninstall, then do a clean install of AOL and make sure it properly detects your modem. See if that helps.

But frankly, I would recommend getting out of dial up and get a broadband connection.
    Okay, I've done that and everything else humanly possible, but I will try it again. On my internet connections Current is checked, should I changed it to default?

Mar 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
    What Internet Connections are you referrng to? The AOL software should indicate a Location that is either a dialup number or LAN, Cable or something like that.

Mar 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Okay, I see where it says LAN and dialup. I will try and figure it out. I am truly stumped by this; I just can't understand why I cannot get a connection. I have two modems; one says Best Modem and the other one says GTW Voice Modem and tech support says to use GTW Voice Modem, but who knows. I just can't figure out why this is happening.

Mar 9, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Do you have 2 modem jacks on your system? If not, you may have an older modem drive. I would try each modem and see if one works better than the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AOL I'm [ 1 Answers ]

I started up AOL IM and when I did my buddy list is gone but I am able to access my brother's buddy list with no problem. Is there any way that I can get my buddy list back? I had a lot of names on that last and I can't remember them and I don't know where the disk got to that the list was saved...

AOL Uk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I run my own website and my router accepts incomming connections and I am on AOL uk but does anyone know if it against there TOS to host a website on my computer and link my domain to the ip? Thanks

AOL [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is roland montreuil I would like to know what is AOL what does it do for me should I keep it in my computer or how do I get rid of it thank you in advance for your answer have a good day roland montreuil

Aol cd [ 2 Answers ]

Hi-- I got an AOL cd in the mail that's good for 3 months. Free--It's AOL 9.0-- If I install this--will it interfere with my Bellsouth/Yahoo account that I have now?--Will I be able to use the AOL and the other account?--Thanks

AOL [ 2 Answers ]

How can one get a list of entries to print from My Favorites on AOL? Thanks, Frankie

View more questions Search