Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyBerghanSmit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 05:37 PM
    Staffy paw licking problems
    My 8 + year old staffy constantly licks his paws and nibbles and worries at them day in day out! Drives me and him crazy. He is also itchy all over and now has very dry scaly skin although not broken skin
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 06:08 PM

So many possibilities:

Check out this website

Dog Skin Problems: Allergies, Skin Diseases & Dog Ear Care
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 06:09 PM

Paw licking is usually a nervous problem... insecurities. Have you recently acquire a new pet ? Short haired dog, right. Well get him a really good moisturing shampoo and give him a good bath.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 06:21 PM

Along with the suggestions above I would be adding some oil to his diet.

I personally just feed a tin of sardines in oil twice a week, but you could also add just a tablespoon of vegetable oil mixed through his food twice a week.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 08:38 PM

Has he been to the vet?

Is this a recent development or has it been going on for a long time?

How does his coat look? Is he losing his fur?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 09:09 PM

Staffies are notorious to skin allergies. You need to go to the vet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 09:23 AM

Has there been a change in diet? When they chew at their paws it's a sure sign of allergies. I like using Omega oils, they are amazing and cheap and usually do the trick. When my staffy started getting older, he developed more allergies to certain types of foods. My younger female staffy mix has skin irritations, I bought allergroom shampoo from the vet which is a shampoo designed specifically for allergies, and the omega oils, changed her diet, and she is like a new dog. Have you recently laid new carpet or switched floor cleaners? Have you checked over his pads for any cuts or scrapes? And like mentioned above could be boredom or stress, although with the other symptoms you described, I am leaning towards allergies or dermatitis.
    But only a vet could tell you for sure.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 11:15 AM

I had a Lab who tore up his feet every time I went out of town and left him with a petsitter - it was out of anxiety and no matter what I did, he chewed on his feet. (He liked his petsitter and she kept him very busy and active but he always at some point chewed up his feet.)

Toward the end of his life he started to chew his feet when I was out of the house more than a couple of hours. Again, anxiety.
    899874xx Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 05:04 PM

You need to bring your dog to the vet! I know because a few months ago my friends dog kept licking and itching its paw! So my friend went to the and she had to make sure her dog would not lick its paw! Do the same for your dog!
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 899874xx View Post
    you need to bring your dog to the vet! i know because a few months ago my friends dog kept licking and itching its paw! so my friend went to the and she had to make sure her dog would not lick its paw! do the same for your dog!

And what did the Vet do to stop it? This is not necessarily a sign that the dog is ill or has a serious problem - as has been said, it could be boredom, anxiety, a number of things.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 05:22 PM

YES, I was wondering, what the outcome was..
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    yES, I was wondering, what the outcome was...,

I'm wondering how old the person who answered is.

Are prizes being awarded? I have a friend and her cousin has a neighbor who told her to tell the cousin to tell my friend to tell me that there will be prizes.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 06:45 PM

I heard that. :D
    899874xx Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    And what did the Vet do to stop it? This is not necessarily a sign that the dog is ill or has a serious problem - as has been said, it could be boredom, anxiety, a number of things.
    If you go to the vet the vet will probablyask you questions so the vet will know what is going on.then the vet will know what's going on and the vet will take care of your dog.
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 10:38 AM
    if you go to the vet the vet will probablyask you questions so the vet will know what is going on.then the vet will know whats going on and the vet will take care of your dog.
    Are you sure the vet will know what's going on ?

Tick
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm wondering how old the person who answered is.

Are prizes being awarded? I have a friend and her cousin has a neighbor who told her to tell the cousin to tell my friend to tell me that there will be prizes.
    Are you sure she told her... I want a prize to you know...

Tick
    Dogs Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 01:45 PM

The Vet will know what's going on.

Oh wait did someone mention that already?
    Ok sorry, couldn't resist. :p
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
    if you go to the vet the vet will probablyask you questions so the vet will know what is going on.then the vet will know whats going on and the vet will take care of your dog.
    The vet will know? How? I mean, really, a vet? I know they went to school to take care of animals, but are you sure they'll ask questions and know what's going on with the OP's dog? Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

What exactly was the point of your post?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shy Staffy puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought an 8 week old staffy and he seems to be having similar problems. The whole family has been treating him so well but he doesn't want to come when called and always shys away and hides. He's eating and pottying fine so don't understand the anti social behaviour. Had him for over a week...

Our adored cat 'Bow' was savaged by a Staffy and miraculously survived [ 3 Answers ]

On Saturday our adorable and much loved himalayan persian 'Bow' was viscously savaged by a Staffy dog. It was an horrific ordeal, yet miraculously Bow is alive and home with us again after two nights of emergency vet care. The dog has not done as well as a man who came running to our aid after...

Staffy has no interest in his meals [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, my 13 week old staff puppy isn't eating as well.. He use to eat 4 portions off good dry food a day as well as the odd treat for well behaviour and now he won't eat hardly anything.. I no people say they WILL eat if they get that hungry, but I don't want him to hAve his weight yo-yo-in up and...

My staffy 5 and half month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my staffy is 5 and half month old and has gone off her food she picks at it but doesn't eat a great amount, she not got runny p** or anything other then not eating she hasn't ate for four dayz now.

Sick Staffy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Just a bit of advice or your opinion please. I have an 8month old Staff Terrier and 4 days ago she went off her food. Her stools became loose and she started vomiting. I took her straight to the vets thinking she may have swallowed something (she's a bit of a scavenger!) but after...

View more questions Search