Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfrazee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Secondary Card Holder vs. Co-Signer
    I am a secondary card holder (NOT a co-signer) on my mother's credit card. The card has now been sent to debt collectors (she claims it is all my debt and I say that it is shared, but no one is paying on it). What type of impact does the bad debt have on my credit report? Can she take her name off the account? If it goes to the point of the collectors filing a law suit, who is responsible? Can anyone give me some advise??
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Since it is your mother's cards, she is responsible for the entire amount of the debt.

The credit company can only come after her.

When they sue, they can only sue her.

Now, she might then turn around and sue you, but that is another issue.

But in terms of who can the credit card company come after, only your mother, since this is NOT your card.

My grandmother added my mother to her credit card. Why? Because it's hard for my grandmother to get out always, so this way my mom used this credit card and the bill goes straight to my grandmother.

If my grandmother stopped paying, my mother would NOT be responsible at all for the debt.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 03:13 AM
    In the US, "secondary" cardholder usually means "also responsible". The term for another user of the account who is NOT responsible is "authorized user".

You should call them directly and ask them flat out which one they show you as... and if they say "secondary" and also responsible, tell them that you dispute this and ask them to send proof of it.
    mcb1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 02:45 PM
    In the uk credit cards have a primary cardholder who is responsible for all activity on the card and any activity carried out by any additional cardholders they will have to sign a form stating they understand this before most issuers(if not all) will add a additional cardholder.

Im not sure on us cards but I believe the gentlemen above have advised you.

Out of interest what company was your mother with ?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
    You both are responsible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Secondary master not detected in bios [ 5 Answers ]

Bios does not detect secondary master in boot up although does show it on my computer and shows working properly. Having brought the system brand new I changed the dvd combi drive for a dvd rom and separate dvd writer and both function perfectly well during operation. All cables are connected...

Who is holder in Due Course? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a promissory note, stamped and signed as follows: Pay to the order of Mortgage Co. X, without recourse mortgage Co. Y and signed by President of company and E.V.P. also shows: Pay to the order of _____________without recourse, Mortgage Co. X signed by president and C.F.O. ...

HIB holder and income tax [ 1 Answers ]

An HIB visa holder has resided continuously in the US since Oct of 2004. He works for joint-venture and his basic salary is paid in home country (Nigeria) He receives a per diem in the US which is also paid by his employer but paid into his US account. This amounted to $90,000 in 2005. Is he...

Tax for H1B holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got an postdoctoral fellow offer under H1B visa from one university in US. If I hold Singapore passport, do I need to pay tax? How about china possport? Thanks.

When a co-signer/guarator files Chpt 7 [ 1 Answers ]

I co-signed for my daughter on a GMAC car loan. If I file Chapter 7, assume this doesn't affect her since her name is on the car and she continues to make payments as agreed. Also, is she notified of the filing? She's in another state.

View more questions Search