Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beast21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Xp service pack 3 lookup key was not found in any active activation context
    Hi
    I am trying to install Xp service pack 3 and then it stopped the install and gave me an error
    (Access denied) so I went in to the registry and gave myself access and now
    It gives me a new problem (lookup key was not found in any active activation context)
    If any one can let me know what causes this problem and how to solve it I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 07:23 AM
    What did you change in the registry? That was an odd solution path?

This error you're describing is usually related to a corrupt installation go IE6/IE7 and some things you can do can leave you with a bastardized version of BOTH installed. UGH!

The most common "solution" I found reading up on this was people stopped using IE altogether, since the problem doesn't seem to exist at all when using the increasingly popular web browser FIREFOX. Apparently, the IE7 was a feeble attempt on Microsoft's part to incorporate some of FireFox's strengths without changing much, oh well.

So, if you're up for it, try the FireFox browser. The stuff I read said it solved this problem readily and people who try FireFox are so pleased they seldom revert to using IE6/7.

================
    If you don't want to go that route, try this:
    1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    2. Type sfc /scannow
    3. The scan should begin within a moment or two and may take quite some time...get some coffee.

If this doesn't fix it, continue:
    1. Close Internet Explorer
    2. Go to Control Panel > Security Center > Automatic Updates
    3. Turn OFF Auto Updates
    4. Go to Internet Options
    5. Change your home page to http://update.microsoft.com
    6. Launch IE (It will go to the update site)
    7. Install all automatic update software (install Active-X control), then click EXPRESS
    8. Download any and all updates
    9. Reboot if necessary
    10. Then return to your home page in IE (update.microsoft.com). Click EXPRESS once again. You will be buried in 70-100 updates. Apply them ALL. One of them will be Internet Explorer 7. This will repair your browser and eliminate this error, as well as many other problems you are having.

Jul 7, 2008, 11:16 PM
    [QUOTE=JBeaucaire]What did you change in the registry? That was an odd solution path?

Hi thanks for that but not what I was looking for. IE7 works fine but its is a peace of sh@# if you know what I mean and Firefox rocks.

What I changed in the registry was giving my user profile permission on hkey_classes_root
    Hkey_current_user
    Hkey_local_machine
    Hkey_users
    Hkey_current_config
    It solves the access denied problem.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Well, everything I've read so far on that error message indicates it has something to do with a corrupted IE6/7 installation. Even if you're not using it, I suppose the error is still there.

Do you see this error when you first boot the system or access the internet with FireFox?

Jul 9, 2008, 12:40 AM
    Do you see this error when you first boot the system or access the internet with FireFox?

Hi no there are no error at all browsing the net with IE7 or Firefox. Its only when I install service pack 3 that I get it.
    akoeto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Computer got BSOD then we do repair install. My computer was stocked in windows XP please wait window, I waited for an hour then nothing happened so I reboot the computer. Computer was able to boot but when I try to open Internet explorer ( version 6) I got an error of requested look up key was not found by any active activation content, I installed mozilla Firefox but same error appear.

I tried to install IE8 but I got another error regarding updates. I also uninstalled and reinstall IE using windows XP CD but same error appear. Any idea?

Any help will be appreciated
    dixie_blonde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 06:41 AM
    I am getting the same error, all details exactly the same.

If anyone has a fix or something I can try it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"the requested look up key was not found in any active activation context" [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to open windows on the internet but am getting message written "the requested look up key was not found in any active activation context".What do I do?Thank you in advance!

The request lookup key was not found in any active activation context [ 21 Answers ]

Hi there Please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem I have with my internet. Well the problem is when I type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time I click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"...

The request key was not founding any active activation context in ie7 [ 1 Answers ]

The request key was not founding any active activation context in ie7

IE7 error message "The reqested look up key was not found in any active activation. [ 1 Answers ]

The reqested look up key was not found in any active activation context. This is what I get when I try to go to type in a web address on Internet Explorer. Some please help and give me exact fix for this.:confused:

View more questions Search