Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bp1star Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Possible insurance fraud
    Is it ilegal for a physician to bill and charge under his Tax ID/ NPI if a nurse practitioner is seeing the patients and at times he's not even in the office? FYI she does have her own provider numbers. Is there a way that there could be an agreement between them that would make this legal?:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Common practice, happens more often if the NP does not have an insurance provider number. But the NP works under the doctor, even if the doctor is not in the office, there is no requirement for doctor to be in the office when NP working.

They are not requesting money not due them so there is no fraud at all

Are you the patient or the NP? Why are you concerned ?
    Normally this will often be better for the patient esp if the NP is not under contract with the insurance company, it would save the patient a lot of money that would be due for not getting the preferred insurance pricing
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bp1star
    Is it ilegal for a physician to bill and charge under his Tax ID/ NPI if a nurse practioner is seeing the patients and at times hes not even in the office? FYI she does have her own provider numbers. Is there a way that there could be an agreement between them that would make this legal?:)

Happens all the time - no, it's not illegal. It's the Physician's office and the billing comes from that office (where the NP is, in theory, employed).

I would "assume" she's on salary. All payment go to him and he pays her. Nothing illegal at all.

Under every law I know the Physician does not have to be present or even on the premises - he does not need to supervise the NP as she has her own license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Is this insurance fraud? [ 15 Answers ]

Someone I know has Progressive Car Insurance and she lied to them by saying that her and her husband were separated and about to get a divorce, so her insurance is cheaper because her husband has no drivers license and isn't insured on the car.. is this insurance fraud because her husband really...

Is it Insurance Fraud? [ 6 Answers ]

So, here is the deal. I am covered under my boyfriend's insurance. We broke up tonight, he is moving out on Monday. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. If I were to still use the insurance when we are not actually together, is this insurance fraud?

Is this insurance fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine cashed a check from his insurance company that was supposed to be used to pay the anesthesiology bill for surgery. The check was made out to him and him alone. His disability insurance was running out and he needed to pay his bills. He called up the anesthesiology people to make...

View more questions Search