Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gotribe82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Should I have pay $4000 to attend a wedding?
    My wife's brother is getting married. He's getting married in southern Mexico (he lives in California). It will cost me over $4,000.00 to fly my family to the wedding. My wife feels that we are obligated to attend. Personally, I feel that he shouldn't expect or even ask people to spend that kind of money to attend his wedding. I think they should get married in the U.S. and then spend their honeymoon in Mexico... alone. They shouldn't take all of us with them on their honeymoon. Oh yeah, here's the kicker. The wedding in Mexico will not even be legal in the U.S. They're going to the Justice Of The Peace when they return to California.

Should we feel obligated to attend?

Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gotribe82 View Post
    My wife's brother is getting married. He's getting married in southern Mexico (he lives in California). It will cost me over $4,000.00 to fly my family to the wedding. My wife feels that we are obligated to attend. Personally, I feel that he shouldn't expect or even ask people to spend that kind of money to attend his wedding. I think they should get married in the U.S. and then spend their honeymoon in Mexico...alone. They shouldn't take all of us with them on their honeymoon. Oh yeah, here's the kicker. The wedding in Mexico will not even be legal in the U.S. They're going to the Justice Of The Peace when they return to California.

Should we feel obligated to attend?

Thanks.

Depends on whether you want to be at war with your wife and probably her family.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 05:56 PM

Don't attend. You have the right idea about them getting married in the US and going on their honeymoon ALONE. Unless you are extremely wealthy and can afford that kind of price tag, Don't DO IT. They need to understand not everyone has that kind of money to throw around just to see them get married. They need to get realistic about this whole shebang or they will be getting married alone and going on their honeymoon alone.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:57 AM

I think that is a lot of money to attend a wecding. Talk it over with your wife and express your concerns. If anything, maybe she could go while you stay at home with the kids.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 01:13 AM

If you can afford to go and can make a nice vacation out of it, go. If not, don't go and explain to the groom, "we wish we could be there, but it's just not something we can afford...perhaps we can celebrate when you remarry here in the states".

As another option, your wife could go alone or you could leave the kids home and just you and your wife could go to cut down on air-fare. Perhaps someone in your family could watch the kids for a few days?

You clearly have a choice about whether you have to spend that kind of money. For most people, it wouldn't even be an option - that's a lot of cash.
    complicatedlife Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Dec 31, 2008, 02:10 AM

Too much money for these days! Economy its not that good save that money if you have it for something better. When people are getting marry they get very happy and they just think about themselves!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 06:48 AM

It's unfortunate they apparently just assumed everyone would attend. Many couples who have destination weddings are more realistic and will invite friends and family letting them know that they would love it if they can make it, but understand if they can't. Others will plan something where they cover the costs, or at least some of the costs, for their out of town guests.

You are never obligated to attend a wedding. I agree with the idea of having your wife go if she wants to attend. As an alternative, you could also host a small celebration for them at some point after they return if you felt the need to do something more.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Maybe there is another way around this.

What about hosting a reception in your home for close friends and family, when they return, and have been officially married by the JP.

With it being mainly family, split the cost of the food, decorations etc. rent a tent, and have a nice reception in the backyard, with a pot luck meal.

I would bet that if this were an option for others who cannot afford to go, you'd have more than enough help to cover the work involved, and the expenses.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 4, 2009, 12:25 AM

Well that's why my own (flesh and blood raised me) parents couldn't attend my military wedding. And I'm their first born daughter. So no, I think they should understand that 4k is a lot and you aren't millionaires
    wtbear Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2009, 12:18 PM

Remember that the wedding is supposed to be the happiest day of a bride and groom's life, not their brother in laws. If it were my wedding, I wouldn't want you to come given how you feel about it. I agree though with the earlier poster. Maybe you and your wife should go without the kids, and use it as a couples getaway, or tell your wife to go without you.

I had a destination wedding a few years ago. My husband's uncle told us later he really didn't want to go, but ended up having a wonderful time and has called it one of his favorite family events. He ended up being pleasantly surprised by the location. Keep an open mind -- you may end up having a better time than you think...
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 12:47 PM

Times are tough and that is a lot of money to spend,then of course you have to add on all of the incidentals of travel.

I thought that at these destination weddings the bride and groom absorbed the cost.

I think its an awful lot to ask of people and they should be making it clear to any who can't attend that they understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would it be rude not to attend party? [ 13 Answers ]

Just got invited to a surprise party to celebrate the milestone birthday (40!) of a friend of mine. My former friend is also invited and is going. I really don't want to run into her. My husband says it's rude because I saw her at school all the time and we talked, I am just not in the mood to deal...

Wedding far away and groom parents can't attend [ 2 Answers ]

My son just got engaged. His Fiancée wants to get married on Caribbean island... always her dream... they have planned a cruise next year and are taking her mother and grandparents. My husband and I cannot get away at that time and cannot afford the cruise. I also do not think it is appropriate to...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Kindergarten - attend or skip it? [ 2 Answers ]

We are in a custody battle right now between a father in Oklahoma and mother here in Texas. Neither state has mandatory kindergarten so the father wants to continue the current every other month visitation throughout the Kinder school year and then push for full custody thereafter. Of course,...

Eviction Summons.Do You Have To Attend? [ 5 Answers ]

My friend is being evicted from his rental house. He has not paid the rent and really has no defense. The landlord has given him the 7 day pay or quit notice, which he could not pay. And now he has been served with a summons to appear before in court, which we know he will lose the case and...

View more questions Search