Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Etiquette on receiving monetary gifts
    Hello,

I'm having a surprise going away party for my son who is headed off to college. We don't need gifts, however, we do need money. I've created this flyer to be distributed out to family and friends, but I don't know how to ask for money on the flyer as I would with a wedding announcement that would say "Wishing Well". What is the proper way to ask for money on this flyer? I put on the flyer " Going Away Wishes Will Be Appreciated". But I don't like how this sounds. Any suggestions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
    There is no proper way to ask for money. Its gauche no matter how you do it. Frankly even expecting gifts for an occasion like this is a bit over the top. If it was his HS graduation a gift MIGHT be in order, but not for going away to college.

I would not say anything about gifts at all. If anyone calls you to inquire you can tell them that cash would be most appreciated.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
    It is never, ever appropriate to ask for gifts at all in any way (putting "Wishing Well" on a wedding announcement is also not proper etiquette). Even if there a reasonable expectation for gift giving on the occasion, it is not to be mentioned and certainly you can't tell your guests what kind of gifts to give.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 10:10 AM
    I'd have to agree, unless giving gifts for a going away to college party is a tradition your family all agrees on it would be rude to expect gifts, I'm sure some will offer or ask and just say he's all prepared but cash would always be appreciated for unexpected fees etc.
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Another vote that this is really tacky and inappropriate for you to ask for or expect anyone to give your son anything at this event. If they are inclined to give him anything, it will probably be cash anyway so I wouldn't even address it at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monetary Policy [ 5 Answers ]

What US dept formulates and implements and implements monetary policy?

Appropriate college graduation monetary gift [ 3 Answers ]

What would be an appropriate monetary college graduation gift for a neighbor's daughter that I don't know well and her friend that I don't know at all. It is a combined college graduation party. :confused:

Monetary judgement [ 7 Answers ]

Can a monetary judgement take money from a credit card. I would like to hear from anyone other than fr. Frank.

Asking for Christmas gifts etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want." I was appalled at this rude...

View more questions Search