Can I get lenses put into frames I bought off the internet?

Asked Jun 17, 2007, 02:03 PM 11 Answers
    I have recently bought some glasses frames off the internet and was wondering if I could possibly take them to Specsavers - as I am a customer there - and have standard prescription lenses put into them and I was wondering if this service - if offered - is free? Thanks

Last edited by J_9; Jun 17, 2007 at 02:16 PM.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 36,740, Reputation: 5277

#2

Jun 17, 2007, 02:16 PM

Have you tried calling them and asking?
    BABYDRAMA's Avatar
    BABYDRAMA Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

#3

Jul 26, 2007, 02:03 PM
    No Its Not Free I Work In A Optical Store And Lenses Are Usually A Separate Charge Form The Frame
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 61,891, Reputation: 5755
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#4

Jul 26, 2007, 02:13 PM

An optometrist might put in lenses to frames you brought in on your own. But they would surely charge you for the cost of the lenses and the labor involved.
    ChihuahuaMomma's Avatar
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

#5

Oct 9, 2007, 08:27 PM

You can go anywhere that sells glasses to get lenses put into your frame. You must pay for the lenses. Nothing comes free anymore. But aviod anyone that says that you must pay a "pattern fee". They are money-grubbing and they are charging you $20 to trace the demo lens that is in the frame or the inside of the frame...
    KISS's Avatar
    KISS Posts: 12,505, Reputation: 838

#6

Oct 10, 2007, 02:34 AM
    I don't understand the question, but if it's of any help. I bought frames at Pearle Vision because of 1 30% discount that I could get, so it was about $85 for a frame. The shop I got my lenses would charge $150 for the same frame. (This is the simple version). Internet prices were higher.

Lenses were glass, AR coating on one side, UV coating on the other, so it's a very unusual premium lens. Getting the frames elsewhere wasn't a problem and I checked first.

I actually got 3 identical frames: one with a Trivex bi-focal + AR, another glass bifocal with UV + AR, and a third glass high bifocal (computer glasses) with UV + AR

My lenses take forever to wear out, but I scratch plastic ones and I like the glass lenses the best. I can use other frames and get a really good lifetime out of the lenses.

Lasik is worrisome, because I was told I'd need glasses for close work. I've got a medical condition which is under good contol, but it can be a contradiction for Lasik surgery.

I would consider a pair of iZon lenses which is basically Lasik quality vision in a standard lens. Nearest location is about 50 miles away.

Some vision shops will replace screws, adjust frames and take a lens from one identical frame and place in another frame for free.

My experience was, the internet places will not make lenses for your frame.

The script you get from your doctor is not enough to make a lens. There are some measurements that an optometrist preforms namely Pupil Distance and Bi-focal height. Bi-focal height is dependent on frame selected. You can have a Left PD and a Right PD.
    My PD measurements that I did with a camera and some imaging software were right on.
    ChihuahuaMomma's Avatar
    Vision Expert

#7

Oct 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
    N0help4u--They can fabricate a pattern from the frame, it doesn't matter if the frame is discountinued. That's just an excuse. I've worked in Optical for five years, two of those spent as a lab tech. I've done this thousands of times. Even on discontinued frames..
    ChihuahuaMomma's Avatar
    Vision Expert

#8

Oct 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid

Lenses were glass, AR coating on one side, UV coating on the other, so it's a very unusual premium lens. Getting the frames elsewhere wasn't a problem and I checked first.---That's not an unusual premium lens, they call it that to make you feel not so bad about spending the nice chunk of change on it. I sell at least ten of those a week.

I would consider a pair of iZon lenses which is basically Lasik quality vision in a standard lens. Nearest location is about 50 miles away.--That really makes no sense because there in no guaranteed quality of vision with Lasik. They hope for 20/20, of course. But if you needed reading glasses before you will most likely still need them after.

Some vision shops will replace screws, adjust frames and take a lens from one identical frame and place in another frame for free. --shop will do that, it has to be the EXACT same frame though, correct.

My PD measurements that I did with a camera and some imaging software were right on.--Some prescriptions do have Pupllary distance on them, it depends on the Optometrist. I would not attempt to do pupillary distance with software, there is an instrument called a pupilometer, that needs to be used. It's not as easy as measuring the distance between your pupils. Depending on the prescription the pupillometer needs to be on a certain setting which converges the pupils at a certain point obtaining that measurement.
    I'm not sure who "educated" you but they need to go back to school.
    KISS's Avatar
    KISS Posts: 12,505, Reputation: 838

#9

Oct 11, 2007, 05:12 AM
    I could not get GLASS lenses anywhere. I even had some opticians whao were in the biz for 30+ years tell me that glass has inherent UV protection. Their reasoning - Why don't you get sun burnt in the car?

Now make some some comments after reading the iZon story: iZon - iZon High-Definition Glasses

PD is relatively easy to measure. First tape a mm ruler to your forehead. It's just for calibration. It can be on an angle, but should be parallel to your pupils.

You converge your pupils straight ahead looking at a far object to get far PD and take a photo. You so the same looking at a near object at the normal near distance which I forget what it is.

Now the fun part. Take a piece of free software (Scion Image) that allows you to measure distances on a photo. Calibrate the software using the scale that's in your picture and measure. You can get them all. I got the same results as the optician using the pupilometer.
    ChihuahuaMomma's Avatar
    Vision Expert

#10

Oct 11, 2007, 11:56 AM

I sell glass lenses on a daily basis. They are not hard to find, just not recommended because of their weight.

That's really too complicated of a procedure to measure a PD, and I would never fill a prescription unless I, or another certified Optician had taken the PD. I trust my pupillometer. And I don't care what that article says, in fact I didn't read it, I asked my boss, who is an Ophthalmologist and confirmed my answer, so that's all I need.

Headaches due to contact lenses [ 11 Answers ]

I've had really bad headaches for the past 2 months. I tried everything to ease the tension but couldn't find the root of the problem. Finally I realized that I've been wearing my contacts 7 days a week for more than 10 hours a day. So, I've cut back on wearing contacts. I take them off as soon...

Bought shrubs/trees over internet - how to care for them [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I recently bought Privet Hedges from the internet. The web address for the store is - (Fruit trees, nut trees, shade trees, plants, ground cover, shrubs, rose bushes, hedges and more Autumn Ridge Nursery) The 100 hedges and 10 trees came in a cardboard package about 5 inches round and...

Internet clients knowing where to put things [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to setup when a user downloads something the internet client looks at the extension and opens the right folder it is I want it to go in? After I setup the settings of what I need to use or change.