Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Nov 24, 2006, 08:34 AM
    eBay Wii and PS3
    I couldn't help but notice that on eBay, Wiis and PS3s are selling like crazy, all of them selling for more than retail value. So my question is, is it legal to be selling a PS3 for $7000 and make so much of a profit of anothers work, or a legal selling of one persons possession to another?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Hello worth:

Sure. You can sell anything of yours, for any amount you want, to anyone you want. The PS3's?? If you sell them on E-Bay, you're not making profit off anothers work, should you sell it for thousands. You're actually making profit off YOUR work. What?? It got on E-bay by itself?? The manufacturer made his profit when he sold it to you. Sure, he could have made a bigger profit, if he waited, but he also could have gone broke WHILE he waited.

Here in Seattle, people are selling homes for half a million that only cost $50,000 to build. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the American way - and it ain't a bad way, either.

excon
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Nov 24, 2006, 09:09 AM
    I see your point. But couldn't a $7000 PS3 be considered price gouging?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 09:20 AM
    But not illegal,
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    But not illegal,
    Hello again, worth (interesting name, since we're talking about things of worth):

Not only is it not illegal, it's not unfair or dishonorable either.

It's easy to condem others, but let me ask you this. Let's say you found an old coin (a nickel) in your dresser. You take it to the coin dealer on the corner, and he offers you $100. Are you going to say no, just give me 5 pennies??

If you would, please invite me to your next garage sale.

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Now Here's my eBay PS3 ;)

I wonder if it'll be delivered ?

Then there's the other end
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 03:41 PM
    I don't get people at times.

Why not just wait 2 or 3 months, when PS3 will release more games?

That way you get it for a few hundred dollars, not a few thousand!
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Nov 26, 2006, 08:54 PM
    The only thing that should be considered illegal is the way parents drop that much cash on there children for the holidays when they could easily wait another month until prices drop down, and at least teach a lesson about patience.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I don’t get people at times.

Why not just wait 2 or 3 months, when PS3 will release more games?

That way you get it for a few hundred dollars, not a few thousand!
    Bragging rights, pure and simple. Be the first one on the block to have one. Own something not everyone can afford. Once it becomes affordable to the masses, some of the lustre wears off for many. They may enjoy the challenge of the acquisition as well, chasing the holy grail of video games.
    In basic psychological terms, this would translate into a "Napolean complex", "little man syndrome", or just being plain "poorly endowed."
    It's all about gratification and compensation. :)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 26, 2006, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    I see your point. But couldn't a $7000 PS3 be considered price gouging?
    I saw one going for $15000 on eBay the other day, though no bids. Someone posted a question, laughing at the guy, and saying "I wish you luck!" His response.. "It's Christmas time."
    So much for the spirit of giving. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PS3 or 360 [ 34 Answers ]

I never thought this might be a problem but, I've already had a PS2 and a bunch of games for it and never had any xbox games, while so far my friends all have 360's and now the PS3 is coming out. I want to get the PS3 because of my games that I can play for it. But then I can play the online on the...

Ps3 impossible to get! [ 29 Answers ]

Omg its so impossible stores just won't tell you the truth about wheather or not they got the ps3.. point being... Does anybody know any legit sites making the ps3 available for preorder by christmas time. I really want one.

Second shipment of Wii [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone if and when there will be another shipment of the Wii before christmas?

Ebay [ 5 Answers ]

I buy a lot of little things I find on Ebay and it got me wondering. Don't these sellers have to pay taxes on these sales? While I buy just a few items, I noticed that at times they are from the same seller, and they have hundreds of item listed. Thank you.

EBay [ 10 Answers ]

Let's say I just won my first bid on eBay. What is proper etiquette, normally? Should I pay immediately, or should I wait a few days until I get the product and then pay?

View more questions Search