Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Unsure about my major,need opinions
    This semester I transferred to a 4 year college after I graduated from a community college with an assoiciates degree in general studies. Going into this I had wanted to become a psych major,because I was always under the impression that that mainly revolved around counseling and that's what I want to do.I'm starting to learn that that is not the class,it's more math and science oriented. I really just want to help people and not have to spend a lot of time in school racking up student loans in order to do it.This semester I also found out about a human service degree, and I think that sounds more like what I want to do.What do you think?Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks
    mattasmith Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Oct 27, 2011, 07:32 PM
    PrttyBrownEyez21:

If you are having questions about your major or wanting to know more about the human service degree, then an easy way to find out more information about the degree is visiting your school's website. Check to see if they have an "A-Z index". Then look under H for human service degree. You can find a suggested class sequence (what kind of classes you will be taking for the degree), see recent job placements of those who have received the degree (where people are getting jobs with the degree), and information about the professors who are in the department (those who will be teaching you).

There are a couple of things that I would suggest as well, since you are having a little trouble with choosing a major. If you have a career services or job placement program at your school, go and see if they have a personality test that you can take. After you take the test, they will have a list of potential occupations that generally go well with your personality. I am sure that this will include degrees that help people.

Also, keep in mind that no matter what degree you go for, there will be classes you won't like as much as others! Just be persistent! You'll make it through them. Math and science classes are not my favorite either. But after you're done with them, then you're done!

Hope this helps!
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
    Thank you ,I will do that
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
    I have an M.S. in counseling psychology, so part of the program to satisfy the "science" part was to offer courses in research and statistics. Had I taken an M.A. ("arts and humanities") program, I would have had the same number of courses (and tuition payments), but would have chosen "softer" courses in psychological theory or practical applications of the various schools of counseling (Freudian, Rogerian, RET, etc.).

The same thing happens in B.A. vs. B.S. programs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsure [ 1 Answers ]

There is a movie where southern cal turns frozen and the star, his exwife, kid, and new husband get a vehicle with tracks from the police station and along with a black guy who was in lockup, and gets the vehicle running, make their way to a submarine that will take then south to warmer wheather. ...

Need some opinions, unsure if I'm pregnant, missed period but negative test [ 5 Answers ]

I am now 5 days late on my period. I felt like I was going to get it the day that I was supposed to but the cramps and aches have slowly tapered off with no sign of my period what so ever. The only premenstrual symptoms I still have are breast tenderness and very mild back discomfort. I haven't...

Unsure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but I am due a period so its not missed but had a light spotting if that's what it was so I decided to do a test which came back faint but positive. I am having no pregnancy symptoms and a lot of period type cramping. Does this mean I am pregnant...

Unsure also [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry I am all new at this and posted as a reply first and now as a question. I have been on a 24 day cycle. I am now 3 days late on that cycle. I am getting a faint line when tested yesterday, but this morning it is even more faint. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow. I also have low...

Unsure [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I really need help in understanding this pregnancy situation.. I started using the patch about a year ago and had stop using it since last augest and since then I've been trying to get pregnant and nothing yet I see signs that confuse me and I go out and buy tests and they come out negative. But...

View more questions Search