Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darKshade360 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Feb 11, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Ecological succession?
    What is ecological succession? I have like 4 question on some homework that all use that term and my dictionary doesn't define it and the online deffinitions might as well as been speaking in japanease. Please help :)
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 05:35 PM

Changes in communities occur over time in a process called ecological succession. This process occurs as a series of slow, generally orderly changes in the number and kinds of organisms that live in an area take place. Differences in the intensity of sunlight, protection from wind, and changes in the soil may alter the kinds of organisms that live in an area. These changes may also alter the number of populations that make up the community. Then, as the number and kinds of species change, the physical and chemical characteristics of the area undergo further changes. The area may reach a relatively stable condition called the climax community, which may last hundreds or even thousands of years.

Ecologists distinguish two types of succession--primary and secondary. In primary succession, organisms begin to inhabit an area that had no life, such as a new island formed by a volcanic eruption. Secondary succession takes place after an existing community suffers a major disruption--for example, after a climax forest community is destroyed by fire. In this example, a meadow community of wild flowers and grasses will grow first, followed by a community of shrubs. Finally trees will reappear, and the area will eventually become a forest again. Thus, the forces of nature ultimately cause even climax communities to change.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 05:38 PM
    Some excellent books to refer to:-

Allaby, Michael, ed. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Ecology. Oxford, 1994.

Hall, Charles A. S. and others. Energy and Resource Quality: The Ecology of the Economic Process. 1986. Reprint. Univ. Pr. Of Colo. 1992.

Harte, John. The Green Fuse: An Ecological Odyssey. Univ. of Calif. Pr. 1993. Discusses environmental issues.

Odum, Eugene P. Ecology and Our Endangered Life-Support Systems. 2nd ed. Sinauer, 1993.

Scott, Michael. Ecology. Oxford, 1995. Younger readers.

Wilson, Edward O. The Diversity of Life. Belknap, 1992.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal ecological legislation [ 3 Answers ]

Which of these is NOT an example of a federal ecological legislation? Air Quality Act Refuse ACT Resource Recovery Act Occupational Safety and Health Act

Clinton succession [ 4 Answers ]

If bill clinton held another office in Washington dc, what are the chances that he would become president

Succession of Father's Estate (Louisiana) [ 1 Answers ]

My father died in 1996 and a succession was never done. I am in the process of gathering information and am not having any luck gaining access to his financial records at the bank. They tell me they only keep 5 years on file but may have old files on micro fiche but I would need the account...

View more questions Search