Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Z54Burma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
    Kitchen Ceiling Fan Removal - can't find housing release to expose box/bracket
    My kitchen ceiling fan (sorry - don't know the manufacturer) came with the house I bought 21 years ago. It doesn't have the typical screws that release the housing cover exposing the electrical box and/or mounting bracket. I can't see how to take the motor and fan assembly off from below.

Are these older fans secured from above? Do I have to venture into the attic to release it? I've disassembled as much as appears practical and I see no screws that will let me get the cover off to release the rest.

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Does it have a plastic ring at ceiling? Turn slightly and pull down.
    You have removed the blades also?
    Never seen a fan that can't be installed or removed from room you're in.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Send me a picture of it to my email, I'll explain how to remove it.
    Z54Burma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Well, the entire unit "hung" on a pivot bar.
    Lifting the unit (pushing up towards the ceiling) unseated the bar from its trough, and then twisting the unit allowed the pivot bar to fit through the center hole in the bracket and fall through.

Unfortunately, I had to destroy the ring to see this. The fan just needed minor repair and could have been refurbished. Oh well!

Thanks for the responses.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
    I'm sure there was another way to remove it.

I still may be interested in your fan/parts, do you know the make?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan removal [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan in our house (installed before we moved in). We want to move it to another room and are having trouble dismounting it From it's current location. We lowered the disk that contains the two light Bulb sockets and see a nut on a hollow shaft with wires through...

Red Wire in ceiling junction box [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a chandlier in an existing ceiling junction box, however, the previous home owner did not have a light fixture attached. There are four wires coming out of the box, white, red, black and red. This junction box is connected to a wall switch with a dimmer. What do I connect...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light Bracket [ 1 Answers ]

The 2-pronged metal bracket which holds the light globe in place - where can I find this?

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

Ceiling Fan - Light kit removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - model CC 52HD. It currently has a light kit attached to it and I'd like to remove it, but need the "cap" that should fit over where the light kit currently is attached. Anyone know where I can find one of these? Are they standard?

View more questions Search