Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 04:39 PM
    MTD rider won't turn over
    I have a 10 year old MTD rider 17.5 HP 7 speed. I replaced the battery about a month ago and it started right up. I went to use it again and nothing. Turn the key and it doesn't make a sound. I tried turning the lights on and nothing. I think the battery is fine as I hooked up an inverter and a shop light to it and it came on fine. Could it be the ignition switch or??
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Mar 19, 2007, 05:07 PM
    I would first double check your battery connections. Then I would chceck safety/cutoff switches. The majority of the no start problems with these units are because of the safety interlock switches. They can become bent and or wedged, sometimes even insulated by grass or other material. I would check the swicth under the seat, the neutral switch and the mower disengaged switch that they are free moving. After those are verified, then I would check my ignition switch.

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj

Mar 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Update - I hooked a jumper to the starter and it cranked like crazy, but would not start. I'm guessing because of the ingintion or the seat being up shorts something out?

Mar 19, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Morrowrj - thank you. I pretty much feel like a moron now. The blade disengage was one notch off up all the way. Pulled it all the way up and fired right off.. . and to think yesterday I went looking at new mowers. Whew! Now I can go put the shroud back on and have cold one. Thank you thank you!
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Mar 19, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Glad to help. How do you think I knew the answer..
    michaelathalia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
    My mower is the same type but sometimes I get a faint clicking sound. It stopped all of a sudden as I was mowing my yard. I replaced the ignition switch. I don't get power to my starter or lights.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelathalia View Post
    My mower is the same type but sometimes I get a faint clicking sound. It stopped all of a sudden as I was mowing my yard. I replaced the ignition switch. I don't get power to my starter or lights.
    Check your inline fuse

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13HP MTD Yard Machines Rider Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I would like your advice as to the next step I should take to get this mower going. It's a MTD 600 series rider from 2001 with a 13 HP Briggs (28T700). This machine ran a month ago but now it won't. The starter will engage the engine and it will "run" while the starter is engaged, but the engine...

Murrary Rider [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Murrary that is in my garage. I haven't used it in years. I got a new carburetor last year and a tune up... had them check it out as I want to sell it. Never got around to selling yet but now it has a gas odor coming from it. Really doesn't have much gas in it as most was used up...

MTD Lawn Tractor won't turn over. [ 1 Answers ]

After mowing one afternoon, I shut my tractor off and came back to it about an hour later and it would not turn over. I've replaced the battery and the solenoid and it still does not turn over.. Please help. Thanks

Older MTD Rider Won't Start [ 5 Answers ]

I have an older MTD rider with a 12 hp B & S it was serviced at the end of last season and worked fine up till now. The mower started to crank then just stopped. It would only click when turning the key. I tried to jump but no go. I took the battery to be tested it was low but good so they charged...

View more questions Search